Who's good for modified car insurance?

Was with Liverpool Victoria and temporarily changed cars on the policy while I did an engine conversion. Just gone to transfer it back and found they don't do modifications anymore :-(

Homer.

Reply to
Homer

They do modifications, they just don't cover modifications (apart from approved ones like child seats and tow bars). They will still insure you, but only at the basic car level. The rest gets added to your "Permanent Notepad", they don't charge for this but like to know about changes. You sometimes have to work quite hard to get them to remember this though. At first they say they can provide insurance for modified cars. Best thing is to ask if they would like you to cancel the policy and have them refund the remainder, and lose you as a customer. Strangely they tend to then remember the "Permanent notepad" system.

Only thing they don't like is engine swaps.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Will try asking again then. What don't they like about engine swaps? Is it only if the CC's increase that bothers them or is it any engine swap?

Homer.

Reply to
Homer

Just got off the phone with them again with two different departments and out of all the modifications I listed they said they can only cover the alloy wheels. I mentioned the "permanent notepad" where they take a record of modifications but don't cover them and she said that they've been forced by the underwriters to stop doing that and they will now only allow approved modifications, alloy wheels, towbars, disabled driver modifications etc. I did tell them I would have to leave if they couldn't cover the modifications but she said there was nothing she could do.

Reply to
Homer

modifications

Try Adrian Flux - they've always used Highway for the modified cars I've insured via them. Not cheap tho' and service leaves a little to be desired, that and the fact they just seem to make up stupid prices that bear little relation to either the value or performance of the items modified or added imho.

Reply to
JohnR

That's a nasty thing to suggest to someone, what has he done to you to deserve such meanness ?

Reply to
LordyUK

Been there, done that, hopefully won't end up back there as a last resort.

Reply to
Homer

Either increase or non standard engine. Buggers up the car search apparently.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Very odd. Jamesy still had the Volvo covered by them when he renewed, and I got the cone filter and dump valve added to the notepad.

Bugger, I was planning on fitting the Mongoose this weekend. Guess I should fit it and then arrange to get the insurance sorted.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

try performance direct, my mate had a stupidly modified MR2 turbo, 2.2 stroker kit, charger cooler ect so i guess they'll cover it.

Reply to
Vamp

Try Chris Knott:

Most likely you'll end up with Highway again, but CK appears to have a better customer service.

Q.

Reply to
Quinten Uijldert

You're going to tell your insurance company about your exhaust ?

Why ?

It's not a "modification" - of all the aftermarket exhausts you'd normally use (Timax, Bosal etc.) you've just chosen a stainless one so it lasts forever.

I've replaced the discs and pads on all my cars, but I've never informed my insurance company - and I don't have any intention of ever doing so in the future.

Modifications are things that change the function or looks of the car, not direct bolt-on replacements for worn out factory items :)

If you'd gone to KwikFit and spent £50 on a none-Toyota exhaust, you wouldn't think of declaring it.

Reply to
Nom

True, but when it goes from a twin 2" tailpipe, to a 4" slash cut, and=20 sounds so much beefier too, in the event of a bump, I wouldn't want an=20 assesor cutting me out of the money.

I didn't mention the slotted discs, because they are physically the same=20 size as the originals, as are the pads (they fit the oem calipers and=20 have similar or better wear characteristics) they just happen to have a=20 ceramic rather than ferous compound base.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

If it were me, I wouldn't tell them. If it did lead to problems down the line, I'd just say "What are you talking about ? I phoned Toyota and they quoted me £400. I phoned Mongoose and they quoted me £300 and lifetime warranty. Modification ? What on earth are you wibbling on about ?".

Reply to
Nom

Well, I'm going to fit it anyway. Bugger them. Probably will declare it. Then get one of the other like HIC,=20 Performance Direct or Privilege to beat their quote.

And I'll remember to tell LV that I'm taking my house insurance away=20 from them too, when I'm due to renew (even if that costs me more).

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Well, I'm going to fit it anyway. Bugger them. Probably will declare it. Then get one of the other like HIC, Performance Direct or Privilege to beat their quote.

And I'll remember to tell LV that I'm taking my house insurance away from them too, when I'm due to renew (even if that costs me more).

Reply to
Vamp