Who was it had a T5?

Was it any good? I've just bought one off ebay...

Reply to
Pete M

Oifink Jamesey of this parish had a stripped ~300BHP 850 Estate.

Things went a bit skew-wiff in life and he had to get rid.

ISTR he pops up occasionally.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Um... are you near Glasgae still? This thing is in Renfrewshire...

Reply to
Pete M

I had one for a bit and really liked it. Makes an awesome noise (mine had a big exhaust). Handled OK for a big car - not as wallowy as I expected, in fact it could dispose of corners rather quickly (in the dry at least). Best thing is the nice flat torque curve - max torque from 2krpm to 6krpm or something like that, means it can be nice and relaxing to drive when you need it to be. Economy wasn't too great though - I averaged about 26mpg IIRC, although I did get it above 30 for a very short time once.

Although uber cheap mine was totally reliable. Clutch was showing some signs of wear which is why I got rid because apparently its a big job and I couldnt be bothered. So I sold it to a guy I knew who drove it, with a Volvo 66 attached on a trailer, to somewhere in Germany and then back again with an empty trailer and to my knowledge the clutch still hasn't been done (should have kept it!!). I'm sure he said they had it up to triple figures with the 66 on the back :)

Make sure you've got decent front tyres though!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Oooh, ta. Tyres aren't a major issue for me. The clutch problem shouldn't be an issue as it's an auto.

it's this one.

Not the cheapest, but just strikes me as one that will probably be ok.

Reply to
Pete M

I'm in Cumbernauld if that's any help to you.

(P.S. Have now depimped the windows on the E32, it's now officially back on the good books.)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Not a bad price for what you get. I'm not a fan of those wooden dashboards though, looks terrible in my opinion. Because mine was an early with with relatively basic spec I didn't have that.

Oh, and if it hasn't got one get a strut brace - the Volvo one is not very expensive but it does make a noticeable difference if you like to corner hard.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Sorry, I'm about 2 and a half hours from Glasgow now.

Bob Sherunckle's a good bit closer...

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I have a V70R. And yes the strut brace is £60 well spent. There is also a rear brace available also worth £50.

Make sure the auto has fresh fluid + flush, and the cam belt has been done.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Did you go for it? It has finished.

Reply to
Elder

I've just got home in it now. I am absolutely ecstatic with it.

Only mark on it is a light scratch on one of the alloys - probably caused by a wheel brace or a tyre fitter. It is the tidiest T5 I've seen since they were new. It's astonishingly tidy.

Needs a couple of very minor bits of fettling doing, there is a squeaky climate control servo which I think just needs a bit of lube on a flap somewhere, the windscreen washer level sensor is saying empty when it's not - according to the seller, and he rang me this morning all worried, it came on yesterday and didn't go out when he topped up the screen wash, the wheels need balancing slightly (I'll do that in the morning), the load cover needs replacing as the little plastic cover that holds the return spring is missing, the radio doesn't illuminate around the volume control, it could do with fresh wiper blades and there is a switch blank missing from the dash - it's had a carphone kit at some point. One of the remote fobs needs a fresh battery as well. Nothing remotely serious.

It goes very well, averaged 29.4 mpg over the 231 miles home, picks up like a T5 should, tracks straight, the brakes are fine, the engine is sweet as a nut and it handles pretty bloody well (but I'll put the strut braces on it in the future). Aircon seems to work fine - I'll do a thermometer test on it tomorrow when it's a bit warmer out. I'll give it a full service in the next week or two. It's not had one for 6000 miles (Service history is a lot more thorough than listing suggests)

Stereo is great in it, it's the 'premium' Alpine? one with the CD and tape in the head unit. I bought the new Prodigy album on the way home (forgot to take cds) and it handled that with aplomb.

Auto box is smooth and responsive and works fine in all modes. I suspect it's never been thrashed as the kickdown switch is very stiff. Nothing about the whole car suggests any abuse whatsoever.

Don't see myself flogging this in the near future.

Reply to
Pete M

I give it a week, a service and an offer you can't refuse.

Reply to
Elder

I'll swap you it for my 106.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Sounds like a nice one :-)

Hope you enjoy it.

Thursday we removed the megapimp tints from the 750i and the car just became all the better for it. This morning I washed the A4 and got some of the tarry marks off with some thinners on a cloth and that's looking better for it too.

I love good quality cars bought cheaply. Next job is a new thermostat. It's not warming up as quickly as it should. A wee bit fiddly, but not that bad a job.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Sweet dude :-) Sounds like a nice car, glad you didn't have any ebay style hassles! Mainly cos I sold some stuff this week and one of the winners has decided he doesn't want it anymore because he thinks it's too expensive... even though he bidded that price, it wasn't even a Buy It Now...

Reply to
DanB