Won't need that van right away after all.

Bloody house I was ready to make an offer for has fallen through. Why bother putting a house on the market for a week, when your relative wants you to sell it after they have gone into care, rack up estate agents fees, allow viewings, and when someone comes along with a mortgage, no chain, deposit burning a hole in their account, and wanting to know if they are leaving any of the appliances still in the empty house so they can work out what to offer, do they decide they won't in any way consider offers of any sort, and are moving their sister in.

It was smaller than I wanted, but location was better than some of the pikey central places I've been forced to look, and as it wasn't a repo, it wasn't missing half the ceilings, or had boobytrapped electrics/gas/water, and it had a seperate garage that would have come in useful for storing shit while getting sorted/decorating, and a wetroom shower that made up for the overall smallness.

And I was told when viewing they were looking for a quick sale and were quite open to offers. Wankers.

Reply to
Elder

First guess would be that there's some kind of tax dodge at work?

Reply to
Doki

Dunno, doesn't seem to be that good a nick house for any sort of dodge. Tidy enough, but styled like an old person might like (including handrails everywhere) but liveable.

The difference with this and the others I've been to see is, I wouldn't lie awake wondering if my car was still there in the morning because it is a much nicer area.

I've been to see much nicer(inside), much bigger, and much cheaper(but needing more work). But the location and the price would have been perfect.

Reply to
Elder

Told by the owner or the estate agent? Doesn't matter, it's their house anyway. They can do what they want.

It sucks, but welcome to buying a house, I've got further you did here more than once.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Could have been a way of finding the actual market value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

By the estate agent. It was one of the few non-repossesions that are in my budget. So it should have been the easier way of buying, with repos they keep advertising and accepting bigger offers right upto exchange of contracts, so you can pay for the survey and the land searches and the solicitor and the mortgage fees and still not have a house at the end of it.

Reply to
Elder

True, but surely these days there are cheaper more sensible ways of doing it than having a forsale board outside your house.

Reply to
Elder

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It didn't cost 'em that much - certainly no more than just deciding to put it on the market.

Anyway, it's entirely possible that it was only at the very last minute, when they realised the house wouldn't be theirs any more, that they realised the emotional attachment - or merely the sheer utility value of it.

Reply to
Adrian

They will likely have had to pay for one of the stupid HIP things - last time I heard they were the wrong side of £500 , and possibly closer to a grand.

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A two-second google finds 'em available online for less than £200 - and that's a cost that you incur the minute you decide to put it on the market.

Reply to
Adrian

Only a =A370k house, thought they didn't need one yet?

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Depends on the number of bedrooms and when it first went on the market.

Adrian

This was a 2 bed, but the majority I've been looking at are 3 bed=20 reposessions, so I guess I should have one from the "commercial" owners=20 of the 3 reposessions I looked at.