XR3i convertable

My g/f has decided it's time to sell on the MR2 as she's putting too many miles on it and it's costing too much to maintain. To replace it we're looking at a red '3i Convertable local to us. It's H reg and looks like its been well looked after. Also has an electric hood. Wouldnt be my choice, but it's what SWMBO wants (I'm still trying to persaude her to look at a 205 CTi).

So what should one look out for when looking at these beasties? Rust and leaks I guess, anything else particular to this model?

Abuse is not needed, but I'm sure I'll be getting it anyway!

Cheers

Carl

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

What's it needed doing, out of interest? Other than the big ends, obviously...

And blue smoke due to knackered valve stem oil seals.

Heh. I reckon you should find a Mk3 instead. Mk4s all tend to bit a bit rusty, even if not immediately obvious, whereas the Mk3s either have rotted away and been scrapped, or are virtually rust-free German-built examples that have been *very* well cared for.

Whatever the case, try and find out if it's German built or not? There's a particular couple of digits on the VIN number that'll tell you, and that means it's going to be built of better quality metal, and less likely to rust seriously. I've got a bit of paper in my "car bits and pieces" folder that a mate of mine scribbled down how to decode an Escort VIN number on many years ago, but it should be on the net somewhere.

Also, if you get a Mk3 - I've probably still got a pair of rear light clusters for one (came off my first car - a Mk3 Escort Estate), just in case, like. If you get the Mk4, they'll still probably fit, and will give it the retro look you'll definitely want :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Go for it, fine for the summer months although she'll want rid long before then when she realises how much fun a cabby is in the cold times :)

Reply to
Rob

Big ends are fine. Got a bit of a rattle - worn tappet I reckon. That'll be fixed and then it'll be on its way.

Yep, would look for that on any car!

I thought this one was a mk3, ah well shows what I know. This one here:

But its had a mature lady owner for the last 6 years, and her husband has looked after it how is been a Ford mechanic for 30 years, so sounds (and looks) well looked after.

Cheers, I'll have a look for it!

Cool!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Rust, leaks, CVH death-rattle, blue smoke, handles like a barge, heavy steering, s**te performance, cold start problems, will either have never done more than 45mph in the hands of a bottle blonde or will be on it's last legs after being thrashed to within an inch of it's life by a chav.

In favour of them.... they're cheap, but that's for a reason.

Reply to
SteveH

and its not just the german built ones that are good

spanish built fords are ok as well :)

aaahhh takes me back to my xr2 days

Reply to
Rob

Rot on the bulkhead, battery tray, front crossmember, scuttle panel, door and boot lid edges. Check where the plastic trims are on the rear arches too.

Engines rattle like tractors at well before 100,000 miles.

Reply to
Conor

My Saab is fine, even with the leaky roof. Saab heaters are very, very nice. And heated leather is fantastic.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

It's got a bit of rust on one of the door edges, but apparently that's it. We shall see on Saturday when I have a look over it!

Heh, I tried explaining this to the g/f when she suggested it. Didnt seem to do much good. She'll have a shock going from the MR2 to Escort if that's the route we take :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Base of the A-pillar just below the windscreen has a tendency to rust through.

Sills. There's a drain hole that doesn't.

The battery tray can also rust, as can the top of the suspension mounts.

Problems - lots of mechanical ones but they're almost all simple to fix.

If it's not had abuse, which is rare, you've got a good one.

David

Reply to
David Lane

That depends. I had one which at 150K was still as good as 50K. However, I changed the oil every 3000 miles and used semi-synthetic.

Even persuaded a colleague to buy it for his son. And that was after he'd seen me take a short cut to avoid roadworks on the A1 and bounce it down cart tracks at 90. I think he thought that if I could do 2000 miles a week in it a stupid speeds it must be OK.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Easy to do. There's a special valve stem oil seal tool that you can get for about £10 which means that you don't need to dismantle the engine. I didn't believe it until I saw it done.

They won't - the estate ones are different.

Reply to
David Lane

Are you sure? I'm sure they're the same - remember I'm talking Mk3/4 Escort estates, not the later Mk5 with a more vertical tailgate.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'm pretty sure - I broke one and had to get an estate-specific replacement.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Scrap that idea (thank God). I'm gonna put a new engine in the MR2 and she's gonna keep it (woo hoo).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs