XUD Normally Aspirated tuning

I have a 1.9 XUD NA in my minibus. According to the manual, this develops

68PS. Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The bus weights up to 2800kg loaded, and I often tow heavy trailers (up to 1600kg). This does not indicate a good power to weight ratio! A bit of extra grunt would be very useful.

Any suggestions? What is the practical limit for a NA XUD without spending lots of cash? Is there a simple turbo upgrade, or is this a non-starter? The vehicle is a c.2000 Fiat Ducato SWB.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You need to be more worried about the Torque than the BHP when towing. My lorry has 420BHP but pulls 44 tonnes giving a P/W ratio about half of what you have but it has 1800lb/ft of torque.

I take it you ARE licenced to pull that trailer? If you passed your test after 1/1/1997 and haven't taken a subsequent Cat E test, you're not.

Reply to
Conor

Put a 1.9 turbo XUD in. It's not too bad a swap apart from the normal PSA habit of changing annoying little things between models, and the engines are pretty easily available (eg xantia).

(what is the definition of lots of cash?)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

That really does sound expensive.

Are there any knobs I can just turn? ;-)

I was hoping for some sort of reprogramming solution, but I suspect the XUD, being a bit of a dinosaur, is less accommodating in this respect than a modern engine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Quite possibly. What is clear is that the standard tuning setup is less than satisfactory! Although the power to weight ratio might be half on the truck, I bet the air resistance per tonne is light years better, giving you more high speed acceleration (until you hit the limiter). When fully loaded with no headwind, my top speed is about 62mph flat out.

Actually, it is D1+E, so if I had passed after then, I would have had to take D1 (or D) AND any +E test except B+E! Luckily for me this does not apply.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Giggle. Count the wires going to the diesel pump - that'll give you a clue as to just how many computers/how much electronics the XUD has. (that'll be 'none').

Like I said, how much are you prepared to spend, how much are you prepared to do yourself, and how keen are you to get the extra power?

You could probably do the engine swap I suggested for under a grand (all in, but DIY).

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

There isn't a lot you can sensibly do to a NA diesel to improve performance. The simplest turbo upgrade is simply to drop in an XUD7TE or XUD9TE lump - they last for ever, so there are plenty of knackered cars with solid engines about. They were used in loads of cars. I don't know specifically about the Ducato, but mountings were very similar across all PSA applications.

In stock form the TE lump produces 92 Bhp, but more importantly produces about twice the peak torque of the NA lump. There are a range of tuning options available - with appropriate intercooling 130Bhp/200lbft is quite possible.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

The easiest swap would be the 1.9 turbo D as above, which would be a straight bolt in, or if you are feeling brave, the 2.1, again from a Xantia or 406.

If you do the 1.9 rob the donor car of the front mounted intercooler- dont use the engine top variety.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

There is one, and if you pull it off, the engine stops. It's reprogramming, of a sort :-)

I would have thought you can lay your hands on a known decent lump for around £200, so probably under a grand if done by a friendly mechanic!

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Friend's just done this, I think it was about 400 quid for the engine.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

So the consensus is that I'm going nowhere without a turbo?

Are there any aftermarket turbo conversions? Is it just a case of a couple of manifolds, a turbo from the scrappie and a twist on the injection pump, or does it really need a complete engine change? I am reluctant to do this, as the engine is low mileage and a known good one. I'm also pretty poor, ATM. I suspect that the end result will be to do nothing and just continue to sit like a muppet on the uphills!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yup

Engine change is probably the cheapest option. I would hope the injection pump is somewhat different - it should have some way of telling the air pressure so it knows that it can put more diesel in when the turbo is spinning. (although I'll welcome correction on this point). Head will need to be different too - different compression ratio IIRC.

Don't forget the cost of telling your insurance company too - I suspect if you're strapped for cash, chugging along will probably be the best thing.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I'm afraid so.

You could get the head, turbo, manifolds, intercooler and oil-feed pipework off a scrapped turbo lump, but you'll need new gaskets and it'll take a lot longer than a straight engine swap. I doubt it would work out much cheaper than buying an MOT-fail BX or 405 as a donor.

In any case it will cost several hundred ££s, and the vehicle will then be classed as modified, and modified with a turbo no less, which will probably shove your insurance premiums right up - I dunno what your current insurance situation is, but I wouldn't be surprised at an increase in premium of £200 or more, if your current insurer will even cover modified vehicles!

If I were you I would probably look at chopping the van in against some other version which already has a turbo lump, in preference to DIYing it!

Reply to
Albert T Cone

But probably a little too expensive, especially with the risk factor of replacing a good low mileage engine with an unknown quantity.

Insurance wouldn't have been a problem. Minibus insurance does not seem to depend at all on the vehicle whatsoever. The initial quote didn't even care about the make let alone engine size or power, just the number of seats.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It should make no difference with minibus insurance. When I was buying it originally they quoted a single constant price and just wanted to know what I bought to stick in the file. They didn't care if it was a 2.5 Ford Transit or a 1.9 Peugeot Boxer. I think that basically the choice of vehicle type meant that they didn't get too many boy racers in. Even with a turbo, the power to weight ratio is probably worse than a Morris Minor.

Nah. I'll just live with the indignity on those long hills. It's not so bad when not towing. Then it can do 70mph on most motorway slopes, at least in non-hilly areas if some bastard doesn't pull out in front of you. Anything you lose you'll never get back going uphill.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Err, thats the cut off relay to stop it overunning when you turn it off.

Reply to
Conor

Not really. Ever looked at a truck? Its completely flat at the front, roughly 112 square feet, with the aerodynamics of a breezeblock.

Just checking. You;d be amazed how many people don't know.

Reply to
Conor

It makes one hell of a difference.

Reply to
Conor

Although obviously a turbo in itself makes a massive difference, I was hoping that the NA could be tuned a little. After all, the turbo models can get a huge improvement without even touching the boost.

What is the most that any car has got out of the NA 1.9 XUD? I'm sure some of these got more than 68PS. Maybe I imagined it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well, the Ducato's not much better. I make it about 40 square feet, with the aerodynamics only slightly better than a breezeblock.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle