You know that Alfa V6 I'm borrowing?

Was following a red 1.8 156 on the way home tonight, watched as the driver casually flicked it through a couple of twisties on the B road I haunt on the way home. He was positioning himself well, using the slack in the road to see further around the corner, and gunning it on the exit when he could see

We come to a nice big wide open roundabout, plenty of visibility leading to some dual carriageway, but he's held up on the approach, we're not. We're tackling it with a good ten miles per hour overhaul. We're clear of the roundabout, and slice past with a decisive boot of the throttle. :)

Oh, yeah, the Alfa V6. Just under 28 mpg on the motorway, with me driving, and just over 18 mpg on the B roads, again me driving. Sticking to 80 indicated on the motorway, sticking to the speed limit on the B-roads, but "aggressive acceleration."

The above incident involving the 1.8 TS 156 was in the Ka...

Reply to
DervMan

Then he wasn't trying. If he had accelerated flat out as well, his 140bhp would have simply unzipped, and emptied itself upon your bonfire :)

Reply to
Dan405

During all this, the 156 driver was taking it easy, thinking 'what a tosser' as you stuffed it up the inside of him, and let you go, 'cos there's no fun in chasing down such a slow piece of s**te.

Reply to
SteveH

Inside? Inside?! I don't undertake.

Reply to
DervMan

Inside = the right hand lane on a roundabout.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

What part of: "We're clear of the roundabout, and slice past with a decisive boot of the throttle" wasn't clear?

Not really, but hopefully I've clarified matters.

PS the Alfa 156's rear tyres were down to 22 PSI, and after they were pumped up a bit it didn't understeer off load, merely under load, but it still understeered a lot.

Reply to
DervMan

Well, 190bhp through the front wheels, thats gonna happen...

Reply to
Dan405

My bullshit detector is on overload at this point.

Of course, he saw this kevved up shopping trolley barelling up behind him, throttled back to make room as he could see you were more than likely going to run wide and hit his beautifully crafted Italian work of art.

You need to be a little more careful with your right foot when driving a car with a proper engine, then.

Alfas only really understeer if you're exceptionally cack-handed with the throttle.

Reply to
SteveH

Amazing how Honda can make it happen much, much less, though, isn't it?

Reply to
DervMan

Yup. It doesn't matter if he or she hoons past at illegal speeds half a mile later, they know they've been had.

Reply to
DervMan

Dunno, never driven a 190bhp Honda :) Never driven a 190bhp Alfa for that matter...

Reply to
Dan405

The right hand lane = one closest to the island, and it racing terminology you'd be 'stuffing it up the inside'.

Reply to
SteveH

Bwahahahahaha.

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.....

'He wasn't trying'

or, alternatively,

he backed off to avoid a coming together with a kevved up shopping trolley.

Reply to
SteveH

Heheheheehehehehee.

I hope you're about to re-read some of your posts in nine years time, or so.

Proper? Too few cylinders for a start.

That's strange. I thought you _liked_ cars that were "edgy," rather than dull.

Isn't it strange how Honda made the Accord Type R - more power than the Alfa - understeer considerably less. Oh, I see less weight. Better performance, better handling. More interior room.

So why bother with the 156 V6? It sounds amazing, it accelerates well, but it doesn't handle all that well. It's also seriously thirsty and the company car tax is a whopping 35%.

It doesn't make sense. The purist won't like the front wheel drive handling, the company car driver will rate the sound and looks but will pay a lot of tax for it, the man on the street will think it'll break down on him and guzzle petrol.

I enjoy driving it. I also enjoy winding you up. It would be nice to combine the two at some point.

Reply to
DervMan

But he had to stop for the roundabout? You didn't have him, you got lucky :)

Reply to
Dan405

Maybe it's because the Alfa is too lardy for its chassis? :)

Reply to
DervMan

You don't know that.

Backed off? No, he almost had to stop, because he wsa unlucky, or incorrectly judged the traffic.

/Dervy reels in fishing line/

Reply to
DervMan

So you think I'm a racing driver now?

Reply to
DervMan

I think he heard Dervy's loud exhaust and thought 'This boy racer is gonna dent my Alfa if i don't let him go" ;)

Reply to
Dan405

Understeer isn't 'edgy' - it's 'safe'.

Now, lift-off oversteer (which the Alfa definitely does have) is 'edgy'.

Less torque, less cylinders.

So you say. Most disagree.

Your point is?

So? Most Alfa owners buy thier own cars.

You just don't get it, do you?

But you _chose_ to buy a Ka.

Shame this isn't true.

Now run back to calculating the fuel economy of your shopping trolley to

10 decimal places.

Reply to
SteveH