Zetec-E Engine head replacement

Does anyone know if the head from a late 1.6 Zetec (Black top from a 2001 Focus) would bolt onto an earlier Zetec in a 1998 Escort. The reasoning being that I can get a hold of the Focus head for 20 quid and the later Zetec 1.6 put out an extra 10 brake ontop of the older one. So would be a cheap performance upgrade.

Any hacking required of the bottom end or head? Am I just best replacing the entire engine? The Focus head comes from a Focus that threw a piston through the block but the head survived intact.

Cheers for any advice (other than buy a Focus),

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

If you skim about a mm from your stock head and bump the compression up a little, and carefully reseat the valves you will get about 10 bhp extra anyway.

Reply to
Burgerman

Well TBH, that will probably cost more than 20 quid anyway...and I like the blacktop of the Focus engine compared to my nasty "old metal" one

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Do both! Its false economy anyway by the time you paid for gasket set etc to not check out and tidy up the valve seats, even if you just lightly grind then with lapping paste to make them seal properly like new! Its about 3 quid for a sucker stick, and some fine lapping paste. They will be a bit pitted, and scaled up normally, losing a little power and sometimes giving a less than perfect idle. Head skim if you bother about 20 quid.

Reply to
Burgerman

Well I might just do that...if I find out if the head will work with it :)

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

The Focus uses the 1.6 Zetec-SE engine and not the 1.6 Zetec or Zetec-E. The heads won't be interchangeable, the engines might be but if you're going to all this trouble... buy a Focus, it's an upgrade over the Escort in almost all respects aside there's one less letter in the name.

Reply to
DervMan

:-( Not what I wanted to hear. I always thought the Focus engine was a Zetec-E with a black lid, uprated bits and bobs in the head and a freshly mapped ECU...suppose that's why it aint a Zetec-E anymore :-(

I would have taken the entire engine, but number 3 let go of the piston and it made it's way through the block so that's in the bin - head survived intact.

It's strange how with a little footering, you can stick the 1.6 CVH head onto a Zetec block...but not another Zetec :-(

Cheers anyway,

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Aye, the 1.6 in the Focus is related to the 1.25 and 1.4 used in the mark four and five Fiesta, and the 1.7 in the Puma. But not the 1.6 used in the Escort or Mondeo.

CVH / Zetec-E you mean - the ZVH?

Reply to
DervMan

Yup.