'00 GT PCM readout

Hi Everyone,

I have a '00 Mustang GT with 63K miles.

I went to a local AutoZone today and got a PCM readout since my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Here was the output:

Code: P0455 "THE PCM HAS DETERMINED THAT A LARGE LEAK EXISTS IN THE EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM".

I recall that last week I accidentally left my gas cap very loose. Could this be causing the issue. If so, how do I "clear" the engine light. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Musty.

Reply to
Musty

Take it back to autozone & tell them to clear the codes :P. Some "code readers" (no buttons, just reads codes) require that you cycle through the codes 4-5 times and then it'll clear the codes. That's how mine works. Picked it up off eBay for around $40.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

You can reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery, then turning on the headlights and pressing the brake pedal (while the battery is disconnected) for about 30 seconds. This drains the power in the system and resets the DTC storage in the PCM.

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

Or, if the gas cap is sealing properly and there is no leak in the system you can ignore it. The code will clear itself after the appropriate drive cycles have completed.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully, it is not a real issue.

Reply to
Musty

I just had my '00 GT inspected (105K miles) and the gas cap failed emissions (I watched.) The tester commented that the style used seems to fail frequently as they replace several...the '89's 15 yo cap passed so there may be a grain of truth in this.

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

I did this and it worked. The light has not come back on. Thanks for the tip.

Musty.

Reply to
Musty