02 GT Cooling fan = vibration

At idle, when the cooling fan kicks on, there is a slight vibration throughout the car that gets worse gradually over about 10 seconds and then stays vibrating.

You can feel and see it in the steering wheel and feel it in the seat and floors. I put my hand on the fan motor and it doesn't seem to be coming from there. It happens if the car gets warm enough to kick the fan on or if you turn on the A/C.

Is this normal? It shure doesn't feel like it should be.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Are you sure it's the fan, and not something else like the AC compressor, etc?

Reply to
WideGlide

Have you lost a fan blade maybe? I had a tiny CPU fan lose a blade once (aside: don't get your fingers anywhere near high RPM fans!), and it was so off balance that it caused my entire computer to vibrate noisily. :)

Maybe a fan blade, or maybe a bad set of bearings in the fan motor. Either one could be causing some vibration.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

"I put my hand on the fan motor and it doesn't seem to be coming from there."

Reply to
Marc

Positive. The vibration is there constantly even when the A/C compressor cycles off. Additionally, when you turn off the A/C the fan stays running. This isn't a fan issue. This is an engine control problem.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Sorry, must have skimmed that part... :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren