02 GT engine and suspension problems

2002 Mustang GT Automatic. Warm climate. South Georgia.

I'm sending the GT in this week for a few issues. It has 31K on the OD and climbing quickly. About 1000-1500 a month, i.e. warranty will be up very soon.

  1. Spark knock issues. With 89 Octane I get part throttle ping. With 91 or higher octane, I get a ping at full throttle when it shifts to the next gear. Is this common? According to the owners manual, it's supposed to run on 97 octane. Any thoughts? I've heard from others that the dealer will say that this is normal. That's not acceptable to me. Spark knock severly limits the engine's life.

  1. On full throttle accelleration it loses power between 3800 to 4200 rpms and then "kicks" back in. It's more of a 15-20 hp loss in that rpm range and is consistant and it does it in all gears. Especially noticeable in second and third. It is not missing. Has anybody experienced this?

  2. Squeeking coming from the front left side when backing up while cold. It's not brake related. The sound doesn't change when the brakes are applied. I do have alignment issues on the front left, which may be related to this. The outside of the tire is wearing bad. No feathering. Just wear. Bad wheel bearing?

  1. Squeeking in the back end. I pulled the wheel off the left rear side while on the lift. There is a "anti-roll" shock that looks like it's plastic cover is rubbing on itself. I guess you would call it the piston for the shock. It goes from the axle to the body horizontally. What the heck is the name of that thing? I know what it does, just don't know what it's called.

  2. Don't have the owner's manual on me right now, so I thought I would toss it out. What is the torque required for tightening the lug nuts?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions you can provide.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

HA. Supposed to run on 87 octane. Not 97. :o)

Reply to
Marc

87 Octane as mentioned before is the recommended fuel. If what you're hearing is actually detonation and not some other rattling-sounding culprit then they'll probably replace your MAF and reflash your computer.

See above comment regarding the computer.

Got me. Wheel bearing issue is probably a good guess.

They're called "Quad Shocks" or "Axle Dampers".

Most manufacturers recommend approx. 100 ft. lbs.

Good Luck!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Thanks for your comments Tom. I was not aware that Fords were able to be flashed. I had the Jeep dealer do it on my 98 Grand Cherokee for similar problems. It worked well and I saw zero performance decrease. I've fixed problems like this on my old SHO by cleaning or replacing the MAF, but I wasn't sure what the new fad was with the dealers.

Thanks again. I'll post a follow up after the "dealer" experience.

Marc

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
Marc

I've heard some stories about it. Might try to clean the MAF sensor. IT should not do this.

you mean 87, right ? I'd fill it up with 87 and let the dealer fix it.

it does.

This is weird. Does the check engine light come on when it does this ? Might be an 02-sensor issue. Go to autozone or checker and borrow their obd-2 tool to see if there are any codes stored. You can borrow it for free. IF you go to Ford they will want to run this very same check and charge you for it (75 bucks) if they don't find any fault codes. You can do it for free and tell them not to bother. They might still insist since they are after the easy money. Tell them you did it already and no codes came up( if there were none.) If there were codes, tell them which ones.

It might, hard to tell.. Does the wheel spin okay when it's off the floor ? Any play in it when off the floor ?(try up/down play)

This is the quad-shock. I've seen it rub like you said also on my old

95GT. Wasn't an issue really. try putting something greasy on the area it rubs on just to see if that is it. If not, have Ford fix it.

around 110 I think Do a search on google.

Rein

Well, back from the dealer.

Cleaned the combustion chamber. Did absolutely no good. The mentioned that when the throttle is snapped that "it's just going to do that". BS! Not acceptable. Going back in next week for a flash.

Could not duplicate. Going to have to take them for a ride. It's almost like the transmission is slipping lightly until it reaches 3950RPM, then catches.

Could not duplicate any of the squeeking, but they did note that the alignment was "f&%*ed" and fixed it for free.

Looks like I will have to take a day off and spend it at the dealer. I completely understand why they don't throw parts at things they claim to not be able to duplicate, but like with item 2, it's just plain obvious. I wonder what they will say when I take him for a ride.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Reply to
smoke

---- snip ----

Ah, the dreaded "could not duplicate".

Often times the only way to get them to duplicate it is with you driving and the shop foreman in the car to experience EXACTLY what's going on with the car. Hopefully your dealer is willing to work with you on this and they'll get it cleared up. Keep us posted!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Ok, back from the dealer...again.

Recap: GT is in warranty at 32,000 miles. On full throttle run in second gear the engine surges at around 4000rpm +- 200 rpms. The surge is felt and seen in the tach as it "sits" at this rpm for a partial second.

I took the mechanic for a ride. Duplicated the problem with the surge over a dozen times. He just couldn't seem to "see" the problem even though the tach was "sitting" at 3900 and 4100 for .5 seconds. This is really starting to irritate me. I have taken 4 of my friends for a ride (all aircraft mechanics), and they have all seen the problem.

WTF do I do now?

What I suspect:

Since I have a problem with predetonation and the problem with this surge/slip/whatever, is that there is a problem in either the fuel injector leaning out or the timing is doing something really jacked up. The mechanic put it on "the computer" and said the MAF was fine. Now, from my days of screwing with cars, I've never had a bad MAF show up on the computer.

Anybody with any thoughts or suggestions? I really don't want the motor taking a hike at 70,000 miles on a full throttle run because I've had an injector leaning out all those miles.

Marc

Reply to
Marc
** Since I have a problem with predetonation and the problem with this ** surge/slip/whatever, is that there is a problem in either the fuel injector ** leaning out or the timing is doing something really jacked up. The mechanic ** put it on "the computer" and said the MAF was fine. Now, from my days of ** screwing with cars, I've never had a bad MAF show up on the computer. ** ** Anybody with any thoughts or suggestions? I really don't want the motor ** taking a hike at 70,000 miles on a full throttle run because I've had an ** injector leaning out all those miles.

Okay, questions:

  1. What type of transmission do you have? If an automatic, does this happen during a gear change? (4th.->OD perhaps?)

  1. Does the engine 'ping' when it does this? (this would certainly indicate a fuel delivery problem.)

  2. Does it hesitate at both full and partial throttle when you run it up past
4,000 rpm?

  1. Have you performed any mods on the engine?

  2. Is the 'check engine' MIL on the dash set?
Reply to
JD Adams

It's an auto with no mods. It happens on part throttle when hot. It all happens at full throttle especially when it changes gears.It doesn't seem to ping under light load during gear change. No more than it was doing during the previous gear before the shift.

See above

Sometimes at part throttle really low in the rpm range, but not at 4K. Only on every full throttle application at 4K.. Around 2000 rpms. Consistant with bad plug wires in a way, but there is a problem with that theory. :o)

No mods. Completely stock.That's the number one reason I want this fixed. Potential Superchargers and fuel/ignition problems don't mix well. :/

Not sure what the "MIL" is (maybe the CE light?) If it is, not it doesn't trigger the light.

Marc

Reply to
Marc
** It's an auto with no mods. It happens on part throttle when hot. It all ** happens at full throttle especially when it changes gears.It doesn't seem to ** ping under light load during gear change. No more than it was doing during ** the previous gear before the shift.

Interesting. I would suggest you visit another dealership and get their opinion. *Something* is causing the computer to pull timing or fuel at that point, and it may even be a defective computer.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Went to another dealer today. Of course nobody was available that I could take for a ride, so I have to return tomorrow.

There is another interesting problem. Is the 4.6 supposed to be a smooth running motor? I ask because the 5.4 we have in our truck is smooth as glass at all RPMs. The 4.6 is kind of rough. There is a strange vibration that happens at idle only with the cooling fan on. When it kicks on, you can actually see the vibration in the steering wheel and feel it in the seat. It's like a really rough running engine. Not missing, but it feels like I have a weak injector or something. Anybody else notice this?

Marc

Reply to
Marc