'03 Shifter too far forward

I've noticed that with my seat in a comfortable driving position, the shifter seems to be too far forward and makes shifting into 3rd, and especially 5th, somewhat uncomfortable.

I've tried moving my seat closer, but that just isn't the right fix. I stumbled across Steeda's website and they claim to have a shift handle that solves this problem.

Has anyone here tried Steeda's Tri-Ax shift handle? Did it solve the problem? Are there any other recommendations for similar products?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Kenny

Reply to
Kenny

You can try it, but don't count on it. These cars are not known for being ergonomically correct. FWIW, I have the Tri-Ax. Superb shifter, but I don't remember it placing the handle much closer, if any.

Reply to
Keith

I have a Tri Ax, it didn't place the handle any closer. If anything, it may have moved it out a bit further. Here's a link to my site comparing the handles

I know this may sound a bit snappish, but you aren't one of those guys (like my son) who rides with the back of the seat tilted so far back that you look like a midget cholo behind the wheel... are you? Maybe try just one click forward on the seat back rather than adjusting the whole seat forward.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Welcome to Mustangs. The shifter is too far forward for most people. Steeda is exagerating a bit with their description. The Tri-Ax handle is better than most short throw shifter handles but it's a lot shorter than the stock handle, so the reach will increase. I don't think there is any handle out there that is longer than stock. The best alternative I know of is the MGW

adjustable handle. You can't make it longer than stock but it allows you to turn the knob a little more towards you.

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan Talso

well, the tri-ax itself won't move it back more. I just yesterday installed a tri-ax on my 03 and I also put the mgw shift handle on it. The mgw shifthandle lets to move it back a little more. Only drawback (I think) is that the shiftknob is more tilted if you use the most rear position of the mgw handle. check it out at;

Rein
** I've noticed that with my seat in a comfortable driving position, the ** shifter seems to be too far forward and makes shifting into 3rd, and ** especially 5th, somewhat uncomfortable. ** ** I've tried moving my seat closer, but that just isn't the right fix. I ** stumbled across Steeda's website and they claim to have a shift handle that ** solves this problem. ** ** Has anyone here tried Steeda's Tri-Ax shift handle? Did it solve the ** problem? Are there any other recommendations for similar products? ** ** Thanks for any info you can offer.

MGW offers a shift lever that is adjustable, and should solve your problem. Not only will it swivel in any direction, but it is also length adjustable.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

I have a

Works great

Reply to
MPBSR25

Hi Kate,

No, I lay down when I sleep, but sit up when I drive :)

I have gotten into the habit of using the head rest a lot when I drive. Perhaps one more notch upright may just work.

FWIW, I laugh pretty hard at those guys who lay their seat back like that. Unfortunatly, I'd laugh at your son if I saw him doing that too.

Reply to
Kenny

Thanks Rein,

That's one that I hadn't found. I'll take a closer look.

Reply to
Kenny

Thanks to all for the replies... seems as though the MGW handle is most popular.

I checked out the video that they had on their site showing the shift handle 'in action'. The shift looks a lot smoother and more positive than my stock shifter. At best, I'd say the stock shifter has kind of a 'spongey' feel to it.

Now I'm thinking that if I'm going to change the handle, I may as well just change the whole shifter. Reading some of the past posts in this group, Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter seems popular. Are there others that you would recommend?

I have questions on cat backs and cold air intakes, but I'll save them for another day :)

I love this group!

Kenny

Reply to
Kenny

yup, you don't know how bad the stock shifter is until you install the Steeda shifter. I installed a Steeda tri-ax with MGW handle on my 03 cobra on Saturday and drove it for a while today. Love it, tons better than stock. I used the rubber insulator that the MGW comes with and the noise isn't bad at all. It's a little bit more than stock, but less than what I had on my 95GT with Steeda and Steeda handle (that came with the shifter)

yup, Steeda is very popular. I also heard the pro 5.0 is good.

I know someone that recently did a group buy and you can probably get a Steeda shifter from him at a great price. Contact me offline for the address (no, I have no gain by saying this, just getting you a good price) He bought some extra.

Make sure that you are willing to put up with a little more noise inside the car from the shifter. It never bothered me, but it does for some people.

what year/model is the car ?

Rein

I laugh at him too and tell him he looks like a dumbass.. he gets all butt hurt, but then he gets over it. Glad to hear you are an upright driver LOL

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Now... if you uae the tri Ax shifter, and the MGW handle, you may just have the perfect combination!

Reply to
SVTKate

FYI... it's not actually a headrest - like a pillow. It's a head restraint and is there to catch your head in an accident from behind. If I use my headrest like a pillow, I'm either looking at the headliner, or down my nose at the road. Neither is conducive to good driving. :-)

Reply to
Keith

My 03 GT has 4 way adjustable head restraints. When adjusted to the forward position it sits right behind my head. If I use it like a pillow, I'm looking just below my rear view mirror.

Reply to
Ken Richmond

Done deal! I've ordered the Tri-Ax and MGW handle! I guess I got bored waiting for my sequential turn signals to arrive :)

I hope the shifter gets here soon, I've been eyeing cat-backs lately :)

Reply to
Ken Richmond

I strongly recommend it. You can have drinks in both cupholders when in 4th gear, and you can change CDs in 5th gear. Plus the difference in build quality is laughable compared to the stock one.

BE WARNED, you may just want to change out the whole shifter!

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspension upgrades
Victor DiMichina

I swapped mine for the ones out of my 95, they tilt far enough forward now that if I'm determined (when riding shotgun) I can lay my head back on one, but it's as soft as a rock.

Reply to
SVTKate

You suck! Man, I gotta tell ya, I wonder why oh why I can't have an 03 Cobra Oh yea... I'm poor. LOL

Reply to
SVTKate

:)

To be honest, I didn't even want them when I bought the car, but they were part of the package and the dealer didn't want to swap them out - I'm glad I kept them now - I wish my Explorer had them!

Reply to
Kenny