03 Tail Lights

Ok, dumb question:

How owners does it take to change a lightbulb?

None... it has to be done by a certified technican!

I love my car, but this has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen in a long time.

I was about to install the sequential turn signal kit that I ordered a while back, so step one is to removed the tail lamp assembly to gain access to the bulbs. I take a look in the trunk and don't see anything too obvious. So I check the owners manual and find instructions for changing most bulbs. I get to the tail lamp part and it basically says it must be changed by a certified technician!!

I looked inside the aft part of the trunk liner and could see some nuts that hold part of the lamp assembly in place, so I removed that and soon discovered that you can only get to two of the four or five nuts that hold in the lamp. It looks like I have to remove the entire trunk liner to access the rest of the nuts!

Either I'm missing something here, or this has got to be the most difficult bulb replacement know to man!

Anyone been down this road before that can offer me some words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance!

Kenny

03 GT Convertible.
Reply to
Kenny

Yeah, but taking the liner off is fairly easy to do . I've done it on a 95 and it was a piece of cake. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein
** Either I'm missing something here, or this has got to be the most difficult ** bulb replacement know to man! ** ** Anyone been down this road before that can offer me some words of wisdom?

I had to remove the rear liner in my '98 to get to all of the taillamp mounting nuts. I believe there were 4 on each side. Removing the liner was easy; the retainers on mine looked like plastic screws.

Be sure you silver-solder the connections together; black tape or wire nuts won't last forever. I also used shrink-tubing for all connections, and nylon-tied the flasher module with the other taillight wiring to keep it out of the way. Take your time and do one side at a time, just in case you need a reference.

Test one side before doing the other. I installed all new bulbs while I had it apart (I figured the minute I got it all buttoned back up, one would burn out. ARGG!) and I polished/waxed the paint around the lenses before reinstalling. 'Wiggle' them back into place carefully, make sure they line up right, then tighten all sides up evenly.

Hey man, it's a piece of cake! :)

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Thanks guys! The job is done, and it wasn't as bad as it first looked. Although I will be complaining about the design again when I have to replace one of those bulbs. I still don't think you should have to remove the trunk liner to replace a bulb.

Reply to
Kenny

I've been thinking about installing a kit. Where did you get yours?

wcdiver

Reply to
Mike A.

Hi Mike,

I got mine from

They came highly recommended and I was not disappointed.

Reply to
Kenny

Cool. Thanks Kenny.

Reply to
Mike A.

Methinks the dude at Web Electronics is a regular here.

I'm still contemplating on upgrading my '04 Mach 1 with sequential turn signals. Haven't decided on which "do it yourself" kit to get. Several different ones are offered on eßay.

*+seque*&from=R9 Davïd Greenville, NC

Reply to
Ðavïd

yep i had to remove entire trunk lining on my 96 for one stinkin bulb

compared to a beemer, for ex, design is from the stone age

b4 i get flamed - i love my mustang tho!!!

=)

Reply to
Christopher Shea
** Thanks guys! The job is done, and it wasn't as bad as it first looked. ** Although I will be complaining about the design again when I have to replace ** one of those bulbs. I still don't think you should have to remove the trunk ** liner to replace a bulb.

Yeah, seriously. Back in the old days, the lens just unscrewed from the housing from the outside, and the bulbs were right there. Nowadays, it's all about how it looks, not how well it works.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to