04 GT idle rattle??

All, My dealer claims this is 'normal' on my '04 Mustang GT... At idle, every few seconds, what I can only describe as a shake goes through the car. Basically, the whole car vibrates for about a second every 4 or 5 seconds. Its not a horrible shake, but pronounced enough that I can easily feel it...

Anyone else have this? Is it normal? If not, anyone know what I should have my dealer look at while its still covered by warranty? I have a feeling its normal right up until I have to pay to fix it, then its gonna be a huge thing..

Reply to
japhar81

should

My '03 GT Vert had a similar problem when I first bought it. I took it back to the delaer and they re-programmed the computer. That took care of it.

Good Luck.

Reply to
mustangjoe

Reply to
japhar81

THE COMPUTER!!

heh heh, :)

I think they just reprogram the entire thing

Reply to
ja

I have an 04 GT. It's in storage for the winter now, but I never had that happen. I really don't think it's normal.

Reply to
Gumby

You sure its not the fan cycling? Turn the fan off and see if it still happens.

Reply to
Jafo

Reply to
japhar81

Or the A/C compressor.

Reply to
WraithCobra

I get it when I use cheap gas, or right before it's time to change the oil.

My 98 V6 mustang did it too.

japhar81

The car's Engine control module, ECU or ECM (whatever you want to call it) runs firmware that runs out of a type of memory called "Flash". What they normally will do is connect a programmer to the ALDL connector under the dash and download new code to the calibration areas (usually just cals). This does not mean that anything was defective with your ECU, just means that after your car left the production plant, the calibrators found a problem and have developed a fix.

John

Reply to
john.moyer

I have an 01 GT 5 speed and I notice that you can feel the engine vibrate the car a little when you are stopped at a light. Actually my wife asked if something was wrong with the car, when she first rode in it. The only difference with what I feel is that in does not come and go every couple of seconds. Is your idle staying constant? What is your idle RPM? Is it manual or automatic?

Reply to
john.moyer

That's exactly what I get. It disappears when I use better gas (still 87 though)

japhar81

I don't have any variation in my RPMs like you stated. I would possibly have another dealer look at it. Something is not right.

Reply to
john.moyer