04 GT Speed

Quick question for you guys. Just bought a new 04 Gt v8 5 speed convertible. The dealership said the computer will shut down at 110 mph. Does this sound right to you guys? My nephew the mustang freak says there full of it. Its not real important as I am 40 years old and this car being a convertible and all 75 mph is pushing it for the wife and I. This car is for the wife, and I have to say it sure is fun to drive around town. Thanks for your answer in advance. Guy

Reply to
Guy Lewis

I do believe there is some sort of speed limiting device on the car... I

*believe* it's electronic too. I've heard of others getting rid of it with a chip. I don't think it's a big deal... don't need to go over 110mph anyway.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset
** Quick question for you guys. ** Just bought a new 04 Gt v8 5 speed convertible. The dealership said the ** computer will shut down at 110 mph. Does this sound right to you guys?

Believe nothing 'Dealership' types tell you.

** My nephew the mustang freak says there full of it.

Your nephew knows more than the Dealership.

** Its not real important

Sure it is. Otherwise, you wouldn't ask.

** as I am 40 years old and this car being a ** convertible and all 75 mph is pushing it for the wife and I.

25 mph. is pushing it, as far as wives go. After you've taken her out for the obligatory 'spin around the block' in the nice new car, drop her off at home, then find yourself a serious backroad to stretch your new GT's legs on. Slide that seat back, pop in a favorite CD, strap your ass in nice and tight, then grab some gears. Take no prisoners: it's time to drive.

** This car is for the wife

Where are the Mustang babe-of-the-month pictures?

Reply to
JD Adams

The GT does not have a computer limited speed unless it was a change for the '04 model year convertibles. All newer V6 Mustangs have a computer limited speed of 127 due to the speed rating of the factory tires. The only other Mustangs that have a computer limited speed are the '03-'04 Cobra's at 155 (which they'll easily do), and the '96-'98 GT's that had factory 16" H rated tires. The '99+ GT's came standard with 17" Z rated tires and did not have a computer limited speed.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Sounds about right................If you keep it in 3rd gear. :D

Yep. Maybe they thought it was a 3 speed. :o

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

For at least the '99 and '00 MY, 16" was standard on the GT. I'm thinking the

17" wheels were optional until MY '02.

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

I thought that stopped in '99? I remember that it was an option on my '98, but my '00 was a "Spring Feature" so they were standard anyway. I thought the standard 16" 5 spoke from the '98 back GT's became the optional 16" for the V6 in '99. Oh well, maybe the '99+ 16" was changed to Z rated rubber and that's why they didn't speed limit any 99+ GT's.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Heheheh... JD... succinct and to the point. No beating around the bush here.

Reply to
Jafo

the vehicle will only run as fast as the rating of the tires that the car came with. it's a liability factor. even the police pursuits shut off at 130 according to their specs.

of course, all of this goes out the window as soon as one puts a cheater chip in.

hope this helps.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

Reply to
c palmer

On the '98 GTs, if you got the factory-installed 245/45ZR-17 option, there was no speed-limiter; with the standard 16" tires, speed was limited. I assume this was true for other years as well, since it was dictated (I'm sure) by Ford's lawyers.

Reply to
Bob Willard