'06 Mustang tire size

I just ordered a 2006 GT with a five speed.

In checking around, almost no ordinary tire manufacturer (Michelin, Bridgestone, etc.) has tires for the new mustang. 235/55; but who cares? What is the widest tire I can fit on the new Mustang? Anyone done it yet? A Cobra passed me about a week ago (sounded awesome!) and it looked like it had 255's on it but if I recall, that car has a different rear end than mine.

I also own a Jaguar XJ-12 and wonder how involved it would be to put that independent, rear suspension, in my new Mustang. When I first saw the new Explorer and noticed that it had an independent suspension in the rear, I immediately thought of all the new applications for that :) The disc brakes do not appear to be mounted right next to the differential though, so it would not handle *quite* as well as the Jaguar version, I suppose, but still, to have a decent sports car with all independent suspension... should handle like a go-cart or a volkswagen bug.

Anyway, anyone who knows how wide a tire will fit the 2006 Mustang, without modifying the car, please let me know.

Thanks, David Buschhorn

*I hope to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror, like his passengers.*
Reply to
David Buschhorn

Congrats.

I see a number of manufacturers producing 235/55/17's. None of them are terribly cheap. You might consider the Pirelli PZero Nero. I've got those on my A4 and A6 and like them. They're great in the summer and decent in the snow (though driving a Mustang in the snow...even with snow tires...is not a very wise thing to do).

Anything is possible with sufficient money thrown at the problem. However, it's probably a LOT easier and cheaper in the long-run to put a Cobra IRS in the car if that's what you want.

When I first saw the new

They why not just buy a Bug or a go-kart?

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Note that the reviewers were impressed at the handling despite it not getting the IRS. If I were you, I'd think twice about bolting in IRS... you may not get the improvement you expect.

But I bet this is one of the big 'bolt-in' mods of the future... check warranty affect, of course.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I have 245 45 17 on my Mustang and the Kumhos are quite good in handling and in price.

Reply to
WindsorFox