1" alum spacer rear spring lift kit on an 89GT

Im thinking bout putting this on my 89GT. They are spacers that go on the spring seat. Does anyone have these and could post or link a pic of a car with them installed?

Im thinking it would look to "70s jacked up" but just curious.

Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

Yeah, it would look "Jacked Up" al right. But maybe not the way you're thinking.

Unless you're going stuff big drag slicks under there and spend time at the drag strip, I wouldn't do it. It will degrade handling, and look absurd.

Reply to
.boB

Being a child of the 70's myself, I have ALWAYS loved that look. Put big meats on the rear and dump it on it's nose... it makes me grin just thinking about it.

When you do it, be sure to post some pics!

Kate

Reply to
Big Iron

".boB"

...is a big ol spoil sport!

Kate

Reply to
Big Iron

I had a 71 Nova that had the rear end hiked up in the air. I thought it looked killer. A set of air shocks on your ride was a must in those days. I remember the rear end would bounce around like the tires were made of solid "super ball" rubber. The shock were so tight they may as well have been solid steel tubes. Ahhh... the good old days.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

1978, wife had a 72 Nova hatchback...bright orange, air shocks, deep dish chrome rears with huge cheaters on the back and stocks up front... leetle tiny steering wheel, thumping stereo, pipes dumped just ahead of the rear wheels... HUMONGUS 305 2V... OK, so it was a small V8, but is sure sounded BIG :0) LOL She bought it from a Hispanic kid who had just joined the USAF and couldn't afford it.
Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

Mine was a 69 Camaro RS. I remember I had Cragar Mach 8 wheels.. which were very hot then.

Do you remember "striped twice pipes"? Never had them myself, but got burned on a set once getting out of a guy's Firebird.

Gawd DAMN I wish I was 17 again! If I knew then, what I know now... I'd be even more dangerous than I already am LOL.

Kate

Reply to
Big Iron

I'm jealous, I had to make do with cast metal (yes they were heavy) Chevy hubcaps. I kept them when I sold the car because they were rumored to be valuable. I sold them to a guy for $200 while I was in college. That $200 bought a lot of beer.

I guess that trend never made it to small town Indiana.

I wish I was too. I gave up a lot of "good stuff" because I thought I was in love during my senior year of high school. Plus if we all had known AIDS was on the horizon maybe the easy love days of the 60s would have had a brief revival. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

[...]

I wasn't fortunate enough to have a V-8 in my first car. It had a 250 straight six with a two-speed automatic. I can say it was dependable, and I am still alive, so maybe it was for the best after all. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I wasn't fortunate enough to have a V-8 in my first car. It had a 250 straight six with a two-speed automatic. I can say it was dependable, and I am still alive, so maybe it was for the best after all. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I had a '73 Nova in 1980. The guy I bought it from had oversized mags on the rear wheels, so it have a butt up, nose down look. I loved it. I remember when I bought my first set of new tires, how disappointed I was when the car was "on the level" afterwards.

That car was the only one I had worthy enough to be called "The Maxmobile."

Other Car Names:

Vince - 1973 Plymouth Valiant. The Maxmobile - 1973 Chevy Nova The 'Vette - 1977 Chevy Chevette (POS would be more accurate) Elsie - 1985 Mazda GLC Unnamed - 1993 Mitsubishi Galant Unnamed - 1997 Mitsubishi Galant El Imán de Chicas - 2001 Ford Mustang (although she was originally supposed to be Sally, The Green Manilishi)

- Max - ======= My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. - Huey Freeman

Reply to
Max C. Webster III

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

It may have been a norCal thing too - and southern Oregon.

Oh yea! I have the scars still from THAT episode. If I had known better, I would have skipped that first marriage altogether.

Plus if we all had

heh heh heh... this is ONE 70's gal, that carried on for ya *WEG* Glad I had fun then, cause now-a-days... well... like you said.

Reply to
Kate

"Max C. Webster III" wrote

It would have been wrenching. I took decades for me to get used to cars that were level. I still think that 'hot rods' should be dumped. Luckily during those years I drove mostly 4WDs, that made it a little easier. Chevy trucks and Jeeps. I kind of laughed the other day when I suddenly realized, this Rubicon is my FOURTH Jeep! I've had two CJ-5s - the Liberty (it kinda counts as a Jeep, in name only) and now "Ajax"

I name my cars too, it makes it easier not to call them "you %%&&^X^$$#&*(*^!!!!!" when things go awry LOL.

Oh, I have a little cat named Elsie. Actually, it's L.C. short for Little Cat. ye, I know, not too original, but trust me, it suits her.. she's little.

K.

Reply to
Kate

Mine never had the real wide tires on the back or mag rims so it was a little lacking in the looks area. At least it was a two door model so it could have been worse. It was also in pristine condition since my uncle owned a large body shop in Indianapolis and he had worked it over for me.

The only car I owned and named was a Triumph Spitfire that I called a "Royal Pain In The Ass". I swore the British sent it hear to finally get even for the Revolutionary War.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Lets see.... first car was a 54 Ford V8.

Then I got a class act... a Morris Minor, 4 dr, 4 cyl, 4 spd.... for $75... caught fire on the way home. Apparently the old bare copper wire TV twin lead with the glass insulators connected to the radio out of a 52 Dodge wasn't the previous owners best idea. But it was freshly painted... Unfortunately it was driven on the beach and not cleaned;first. You could still pick the paint brush hairs out of the paint, and if you popped a bubble, sand rolled out. Piece of regular plumbing pipe for the exhaust, oil that wouldn't come out when you pulled the drain plug... Yep, not having a V8 is sad. LOL :0)

Then it was a 56 Crown Vicki w/272 V8. and a chipped tooth in the steering gear. Brother borrowed it and blew a tire. Went to the wrecking yard and got me a matched pair for the rear. Imagine my surprise when I put it in gear and it just sat there....

Next was a 5 year old 65 Mustang fastback I picked up when I got back from Vietnam. $1060 WITH financing. That was followed by an MG Midget, a 72 Mustang Sprint Cpe with an FMX and CJ. Left it in Portugal. The wife got the Nova about then. Sold the MG and she got a 74 Mustang II with a 302 4v that was a dog to beat all dogs. Back from Portugal, she bought a monstrous Cutlass. Nice echo when someone in the back said something to someone in the front. The an 84 Escort, 85 Camaro w/305. Dumped that for a 91 Firebird GTA. Got the 87 Escort, rid of the GTA, added a 66 Mustang Fastback 289 2V, and sold that for the 65 Mustang Fastback A Code I have now.

And I'm still alive! :0) Broke, but alive... LOL

Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

Wife's Nova was so jacked up you watched the ants crawling on the road surface if you looked straight out the windshield... Of course that was after we got the right rear airshock leak fixed... Don't recall what the tire size was but those things were like 12 inches wide at least. I thought it was bad until I saw a guy with a 4X4 65 Mustang convertible that looked like it came straight from a Monster Truck Rally. I swear they needed a cherry picker to get in and out.

Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

COOT! k.

Reply to
Kate

Now there's an original piece of nostalgia -- three figure and low four figure car loans. My first financed car was also in that range, $1700 for a '66 Corvette.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out