1965 cowl vent repairs advice needed

Hello,

I would appreciate if anyone that did a cowl vent repair would provide the details in doing the repair job the proper way. Also the easiest way to do so.

Thanks, Gene

Reply to
Gene Seach

the proper way? drill out the 100+ spot welds on top of the dash.. remove top of cowl.. Buy cowlreplacement parts, weld in.. spot weld together..

the halfassed, yet I've seen it work (i wouldn't try it though) way.. Randomly cut out both sides of cowl.. replace > Hello,

Reply to
Johnny K

Gene,

Remove windshield, hood, fenders and front glass (and all assorted trim), drill out all 176+/- spot welds and remove the top of the cowl from the car. Buy replacement pieces and have them professionally welded in place. coat them with POR 15 or Coroless then topcoat with color matched paint. Replace cowl, by spot welding it back on to the car, replace windshield, fenders, and hood (along with the above mentioned assorted trim), and your good to go..............Is it easy, absolutely not, will it last longer than you will own the car, yup, you bet...............

Bill S.

Gene Seach wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Unless he is simply refering to the vent passages on the inside. In which case it's crawl under the dash, remove the vent pieces and then unbolt/cut/pry out the collar piece. Treat any light rust that has migrated to the cowl itself if any, and replace the collar with a new part prepped as you mention.

It simply depends on the level of damage there is on his car and what exactly he is refering to.

Reply to
Brent P

Brent,

He did ask for the proper way.That is what I gave him................

Bill S.

Brent P wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

*sigh*

I was under the impression that the collars were a bolt in part. At least that's how they appeared on my mavericks. Turns out the bolts are welded studs. It looked like that panel would come out with some prying/cuting. The sale of replacement collars only reinforced that image. sorry.

I'll just stop trying to contribute now.

Reply to
Brent P

Ahh, it's ok. That's how you learn, right? I've been caught being wrong. I lived. ;-)

JS

Reply to
JS

I made a couple of years go cowl vent repair, here is some pictures:

-Ari

Reply to
AK

Here's another, but it's for mavericks. Same difference though.

With all this cowl talk I checked the mav, about the same condition they were in when I bought the car. (9 years now) Pretty good for having it outside most of the time. I wish I could remember what I did to it to protect them. I vaguely remember carefully and slowly pouring some POR15 or corroless into the cowl vents to coat the area. after flushing and making sure they were as clean as possible of course. Probably was corroless as I could see some red in there.

The '75 I had before it had a rusted cowl vent on the driver's side I never got to. I had sistered on new steel for the floor hole it caused. But just made my own cowl vent cap to keep water out. Never got around to actually giving it a solid fix. But it made me protective of the '73s good vents.

Reply to
Brent P

I really want to thank you all who replied to my question. All the pictures were VERY helpful. I am just starting to redo a 65 fastback and appreciate all the help and advise that I can get.

Gene

Reply to
Gene Seach