1965 Mustang underhood dimensions

I am looking for the under hood dimensions for a 1965 ford mustang. Does anyone have them or publish them online somewhere? Just looking for the width, front and rear of engine compartment, fender mounting bolts as well as the diag and length measurements.

Thank you

Reply to
Rod

I don't know the answer to your question, and I doubt there's a web site anywhere that has the answers. But there's one thing you ought to know about the '65-'73 Mustangs, that your reference to "width, front and rear," suggest you might not know. That is, that the suspension is designed so that the springs ride in what are called "shock towers," on top of the upper control arms. These shock towers are the single most important feature of the engine compartment, because it's the distance between them that determines how large an engine you can fit.

If you find out how wide a 351 Windsor or Cleveland is -- information which IS available on the web -- you will know that the distance between the shock towers is slightly greater than that dimension, because these engines will squeeze into a '65. If you find out how wide a 390/428 is, then you will know that the shock towers are not quite that far apart, because a 390 or 428 won't fit.

Also, if you find out how long a 351 is, the distance from the firewall to the radiator support is about two times that much, minus 5-10 inches. I know this because I just swapped a camshaft for a neighbor kid and I was able to stab it in without having to raise up the engine for clearance.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I'd say it's about 2" between the shock towers! :)

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

It can be done, but you have to notch the shock towers.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I'm not trying to fit another engine in this car, I was just trying to run down the under hood dimensions so that I could properly straighten the right front inner apron and right shock tower. The car was hit directly in the headlight bucket on the right front corner and it appears that the tower has flexed in some what.

Thanks for the info

Reply to
Rod

I only wish I could compact this rust bucket in to a 2" cube;)

Reply to
Rod

Hey Rod, Just out of curiosity, do you work at a body shop? If not, call one of them. They might have the specs you are looking for in a book somewhere.

Kate

| >>I am looking for the under hood dimensions for a 1965 ford mustang. Does | >>anyone have them or publish them online somewhere? Just looking for the | >>width, front and rear of engine compartment, fender mounting bolts as well | >>as the diag and length measurements. | >>

| >>Thank you | >

| > I'd say it's about 2" between the shock towers! :) | > -Rich | | I only wish I could compact this rust bucket in to a 2" cube;) | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Yes, I do. We've got dimension manuals for 1938 to present and even under body dimensions for the mustang, but nothing with the under hood dimensions. I may have to start calling around. I've got the original crash manuals (actually crash manuals the span from about 1949 to present) that have this car in it from Mitchell and Motor, unfortunately, back then they did not provide under hood dimensions.

I've got a 1967 mustang sitting here as well, for what appears it's third go around at rust repair. I see that the floor pans are the same from 64-73, I may have to take some comparative measurements and see if the under hood dimensions are similar or the same. I'd venture to guess that maybe the shock towers are the same between the two models. However, the front aprons are not.

Rod

Reply to
Rod

It is my understanding that you can fit a significantly larger engine in the 67 - 68 than in the 64 1/2 - 66. The shock towers would have to be further apart for that to be the case.

Thomas

Reply to
Foo Bar

OH OH OH! I just had thought!

Ping Bill S in the big block group, he may know!! alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury

He knows his Mustangs.

Good luck to you!

Kate

| > Kate | >

| | | Yes, I do. We've got dimension manuals for 1938 to present and even under | body dimensions for the mustang, but nothing with the under hood dimensions. | I may have to start calling around. I've got the original crash manuals | (actually crash manuals the span from about 1949 to present) that have this | car in it from Mitchell and Motor, unfortunately, back then they did not | provide under hood dimensions. | | I've got a 1967 mustang sitting here as well, for what appears it's third go | around at rust repair. I see that the floor pans are the same from 64-73, I | may have to take some comparative measurements and see if the under hood | dimensions are similar or the same. I'd venture to guess that maybe the | shock towers are the same between the two models. However, the front aprons | are not. | | Rod | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Yes, it was hit in the right headlamp bucket. Trouble is, the tower is in more so than it is back and the front aprons, are asymmetrical. The strut rods going from the cowl to the front aprons are asymmetrical as well. It would be easy enough to find the centerline and take a measurement from the good side and compare to the bad side. It wouldn't tell me how far in it is compared to if it were back as well. Front to back measurements are hit or miss, with out measuring points and documented specs, it's hard to tell if a point on the left side of the car is symmetrical with the right side.

I've since decided to give it my best effort without the use of dimensions and have the front apron, radiator support and right from fender temporarily installed and have a good fender to door gap. If the hood fits, I'll call it a day.

Rod

Reply to
Rod