1966 Mustang

Is it possible to repair the rust/corrosion problem around the rear window of this 66 Mustang?

I am looking to purchase this car but if this problem can not be repaired I rather not buy it.

What do you guys think this car is worth:

1966 Mustang 220 6cyl rebuilt Rebuilt trans Manual steering Manual breaks Original interior - no tears No AC The body has some rust as shown.

Thanks

Yes, it's repairable. A good craftsman can fab replacement parts in weld it in to be invisible. But it will be expensive. Or I can fill it in with body putty and shoot some Krylon over it. It looks like somebody already tried that, though. I wouldn't pay much for it. The cowl vents and floorpans probably aren't much better. It's not unique, or special. And it's no longer stock. $2,500'ish at the most. And then only if you really are in love with this car.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Reply to
.boB

Hey Bob...Thanks for the reply. It seems like an expensive repair...just as I thought.

This is being sold at a local dealership and they were originally asking $5995. I got him down to $5000, but something was telling me this is still a lot to pay for this car. But...I am not sure.

Here are some other views:

Front

Rear
Inside
$2500? Perhaps I better forget about this one?

The car isn't worth 5 grand IMO, even with the price inflation. It's going to take a lot of skilled work to fix what can be seen. If you don't know how to check for the hidden rust it's best to pass.

Reply to
Brent P

Thanks Brent...I think I am going to pass on this one as you and Bob suggest.

Any pointers on buying a car like this? Is it best to pay more for a completely professionally restored vehicle?

Nice looking car. 6 cyl and auto makes it a dog, but decent fuel mileage. Lots of non stock parts.

Check the other areas that are normnally rusted out - floor pans and cowl vents. If they don't look too bad, I'd offer him $2,500.

Reply to
.boB

Depends on what your goals are: street racer, show car, daily driver, project?

Professionally restored cars are very expensive, $12-15K. If you spend that kind of money, you might be afraid to drive it.

First, decide what your goals are. These cars are so old, that all kind of things - good and bad - have been done to them over the years. It's not like buying an '01 Taurus.

My car is in excellent condition for a daily driver. 302/C4, factory air, power disc brakes, R&P steering, Not stock, looks good, drives great, no rust. I'd sell it for $9K.

Reply to
.boB

I don't know about the value, best ask Bill S. if you can find him, but that rust, I can tell you is on a very precarious spot. I'll not say it is impossible, but I'll say it will be a big chore to get it and get it well enough that it will not come back in your life time. I dealt with an old Pontiac LeMans the had rust like that on in the same spot around the front windshield. It was a real mess.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Absolutely pass. I had a 1967 that I loved to pieces, but it started to fall to pieces. I pumped more $ into that thing than I want to remember. New floors, torque boxes, fenders, quarters, and that was just the body.

If I was doing it today, and I might, I would pay the $25K or whatever it costs to get one already done. Rest assured they spent more than that to put it together.

Try collectorcartraderonline.com TONS of Mustangs there.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Well if you do buy it and it's NOT a real California Special, I'd love to buy those Thunderbird tail lights. :oD

Reply to
WindsorFox

WTF is an "FXDI" ???

Reply to
WindsorFox

I think someone turned up some sort of early high country special but as far as I know there weren't any GT/CS's for '66.

Reply to
Brent P

Go here:

.boB

Somehow I had it in the back of my head that was going to be a bike :oP

Reply to
WindsorFox