1966 mustang charging problems

My alternator was still working but the bearings were going out and making noises so I got another new one. I install it and now the car won`t charge.I took the alternator back to the parts store and they checked it and it was charging. So I buy a new voltage regulator and put it on with the new alternator and it still does`nt charge. I used my 66 wiring diagram and I`m pretty sure its hooked up right.My car was charging just fine till I changed alternators.Where else can there be a problem?Is there a detailed diagram of alternator and wiring on web?Thanks,Tony _________________

1966 2+2 mustang,86-302 HO bored .030 over crank .010 under, B-303 cam ,harland sharp roller rockers, performer rpm intake, 750 edelbrock ARF 165 heads,C-4 2500 stall,granada disc brakes, 85 duraspark ignition,pony interior,the who,the doors,and ccr full blast on the stereo.GO CUBS

Reply to
66bluefb

i had a same problem with my 68 mustang. the problem turn out being my mistake, i had the ground wire hook up incorrectly to the alternater.

Reply to
Morpheus

i had a same problem with my 68 mustang. the problem turn out being my mistake, i had the ground wire hook up incorrectly to the alternater.

Reply to
Morpheus

i had a same problem with my 68 mustang. the problem turn out being my mistake, i had the ground wire hook up incorrectly to the alternater.

Reply to
Morpheus

i had a same problem with my 68 mustang. the problem turn out being my mistake, i had the ground wire hook up incorrectly to the alternater.

Reply to
Morpheus

Fortunatly, the charging circuit is pretty simple. It's difficult to screw it up, but it can be done. Be sure and check carefully with your wiring diagram and make sure you didn't mix up the connections. Most likely, one of the wires or connections is corroded. Check the harness and wires and look for brittle areas, corrosion, etc. The connections at the voltage regulator are probably OK, since they are on opposite sides of the car.

Reply to
.boB

one thing i've seen very often. When someone install a part like and alternator on an older car , they often "clean up" everything they take apart often repaint brackets, fender aprons and the like. When the old part is painted and then the old hardware is used, the screws and bolts will not "cut" through the new paint, often isolating a part electrically. Check the bolts/screws that hold the regualtor to the fender apron make sure there is a good ground, the same with any other bolts screws or wire ends that were removed when changing ou the alternator. use a test light from the positive side of the battery to various ground points to make sure you have good contact

Reply to
walt peifer

When I bought my Shelby, I had a starting problem. It wouldn't crank hot. Had a heck of a time figuring it out. Replaced the battery, swapped out the starter and solenoid with known good units, still wouldn't crank hot. I was getting pretty frustrated when it dawned on me; The battery was mounted in the trunk, and was grounded there also. I clipped a jumper cable to the block and the export brace and it spun over fine. The problem was in the ground strap on the right rear cylinder head. Check your grounds!

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
kenG2