1969 Mach 1 S Code Questions

Are the 1969 Mach 1's with the 390 c.i. rare? Were they built early in the production year and then phased out? Did they only come from the Dearborn Assembly Plant? Is this basically the same block the 427 was made from? What about the 428 and 429? What's the difference between the 427, 428, and 429 (besides the 1 c.i.)?

Now a general pony question, is there a listing somewhere of most rare to least rare mustangs?

I'm trying to understand the history of this big block/pony car match-up. Thanks!

Reply to
John

The 390, 427 and 428 are all "FE" engines. The 429 is a totally different engine family called the "385 Series" and are related to the 460. The 390 is most similar to the 428. The 427 although related in design has a few variants that were designed for racing and have such features as cross bolted mains and high nickel content castings for strength that the regular FE's did not.

I'll leave the other questions related to the '69 mach figures to the more knowledgable ( Bill S!)

StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

John,

There were 9,400 1969 fastbacks produced with the "S" Code 390 engine. Out of those, roughly 85-88% of them were Mach I's(72,457 Mach I's in all). All three plants (Dearborn, San Jose, and Metuchen) built the 390 cars. The 390 was offered throughout the entire production year, and was not dropped until the last day of 1969 Mustang production. As for everything else, since your talking in general terms, and I have limited time this morning, I suggest that you really need to do a search of the web starting with the following url:

Have any specific questions afterwards (I figure it will take you a solid week to go through the relevant web sites), just let us know.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

John wrote:

Reply to