1970 Mustang Coil Voltage ?

I have a 1970 Mach 1 351W that until today was running like a top. It died at a stop light and I couldn't get it started. I had to have it towed home.

I since put on a new coil, an old voltage regulator ( that was working when I replaced it ) an old starter solenoid ( that was working when I replaced it ) and still no start. The engine is turning over, I am getting plenty of fuel, but no spark at the plugs or out of the coil.

I checked the coil voltage going into the coil and it is only reading 3.75 volts.

I was wondering if this voltage should be 12 volts ?

And if it should be 12 volts, does anyone know why I might be getting the low voltage going into the coil ?

Also I have an electronic ignition module in the distributor.

Thanks in advance, Jim

Jim

Have you replaced the ignition module? If I remember correctly they don't last forever.

Reply to
Les Benn

What ignition module. 70 mustang used points and condenser. check the back of the ignition switch make sure you have 12 or more volts there. if so check large pink wire in black fiberglass wrap it should also have 12 volts at far end away from ignition switch.

if you are talking about an after market ignition module like petronix or mallory you need to Check the coil, it should be a 4 ohm type not the newer

8 ohm higher voltage type. mismatched impedance will mess up the unit and the voltage readings
Reply to
walt peifer

"Also I have an electronic ignition module in the distributor."

Rob

70 mustang used points and condenser.
Reply to
trainfan1

3.75 volts at the coil is not unusual as there is a series limiting resistor in the ignition switched hot lead that limits current to the coil and subsequent voltage as with the engine stopped and the points closed the coil would overheat/burn out because of it's relatively low resistance. I vote to check/change the electronic ignition module. KenG
Reply to
keng2

Thanks for all of the great replies, I changed out the electronic module in the distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor. Also new rotor and cap. Still not starting.

I noticed that it is doing something different though. It still won't start, but when I let off of the ignition switch ( after trying to start ), it sounds like it fires one time. Then nothing.

When I tried to check to see if I had anything coming from the coil, I held the coil wire to the block, there was nothing, except a good shock to me only when my wife released the ignition switch and the starter disengaged.

I will check the voltages at the switch today.

Thanks, Jim

Jim

KenG

Reply to