1983 Mustang Convertible

I am going to look at a 1983 Mustang Convertible tonight. I know the person that his at it's in very good shape with low miles. The only thing I don't like is that is a 6 cylinder. If anyone can tell me the short list of what all would have to be changed to drop in a V8 302 or other....

Thanks

Reply to
K. Squires

I'd recommend looking elsewhere. (Shame you're in Florida, otherwise you could come see my '93!) You're talking about a 22 year old 6-cylinder car, and, unless you're really smitten with the '83 nose, you could probably do better.

The 5.0 convertibles aren't all the much more expensive. Remember, the last one was built in 1993, so even those are 12 years old. I'd narrow the search to between 1987 and 1993, and expect to pay no more than $6,500 for an absolutely mint example.

Whatever you do, don't fall in love with a V6, thinking that you can later turn it into a V8. My wife made that mistake.

diwght

Reply to
dwight

There is no short list. It's almost one of those, "if you have to ask" situations. Since you live in Florida, you should be able to pick a Fox body V8 pretty cheap. Go to traderonline.com and do a search under "collector car" trader. You should be able to find alot of very nice cars with V8's. You could even get a beat up one with a V8, fix it up and come out ahead. Claud

Reply to
Claud Spinks

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:34:43 -0500, "K. Squires" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Word of advice, if you don't like anything about it, don't buy it as you will never be completely happy with it. While it isn't any big deal to do a motor swap, doing it properly with the changes in suspension and so forth is in fact a major level of effort. In the long run you will end up pay way more then if y9ou had actually bought one with the mechanicals you want.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

"K. Squires" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

If you're in Florida (how'd those other guys know that?), my neighbor is selling a '91 coupe with a race-built 306 that's in decent shape - just needs a mass air and a few odds and ends to be a 12-second car. I'm very familiar with the car, and he's letting it go cheap because he's buying a new house and has a couple kids now.

Joe

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:07:01 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

How cheap is cheap?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

wrote

neighbor

I think he wants $3500 or so. Drivetrain's got less than 20k miles on it.

Joe

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:18:54 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

Hmmm, wonder if I can put off the mortgage payment a month? Hmmm!

Reply to
ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You probably don't want to do that... ;)

Joe

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:01:05 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

My problem is I want to do a lot of things I shouldn't. You should have saw this SYT giving me the eye at the bar last night. Vision of sugar plums and all that.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

wrote

Along with divorce papers from the Missus. =:p

Joe

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:24:52 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

And in your book this is a bad thing? Just kidding. In a week I will have been with her longer then I was ever without her. She is the reason I am not spitting on windshields and wiping them off with my sleeve for a buck.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

wrote

second

should

Congrats, ZW. In these days of "I want a divorce because I don't like the shirt you have on today", that's refreshing to hear.

Joe

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:36:46 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well thank yee. My have something to do with getting hungry where ever I want, but always comin home to eat. Got two beautiful daughters to show for it as well. They are the reasons I get up every morning and drudge into the office. They are also the reason I don't have a car for every day of the week, but that is a different issue :)

Reply to
ZombyWoof