1984/85 CFI - Spark plug and fuel pressure

I have either an '84 or '85 5.0L CFI in a '65 2+2 (long story) and trying to get it running reasonably well as a daily driver while I consider this or other engine options. I have no documentation on this engine, but a good working knowledge of fuel injection. Would appreciate any comments on the following, where I have some problems:

1) what is the factory spark plug or equivalents 2) what fuel pressure should I get off the shrader valve 3) any good sources of tech info on this engine? 4) any conversion kits or other options for the 5.0L CFI that others have tried and work?
Reply to
Bob

Bob...

Owning an '85 GT with this miserable setup, I would recommend dumping it if possible, especially if you wish to enter a more performance-based arena. The CFI engines had 180hp stock output, somewhat miserable all things considered.

You should be able to walk into the auto parts store of your choice and get the number on the right motorcraft plugs for the car. I can't remember what the fuel pressure should be, but the pressure regulator is not vacuum modulated - meaning it should always stay the same pressure regardless of engine load. Tech info is almost non-existant. In stock form, these cars performed mediocre, and there was no aftermarket to make them go faster.

Conversion kits... well, none specifically, however, you'd probably be much better off going with a carbureted setup. Issues to watch when doing this are:

Fuel pressure - you have an electric fuel pump (or you should at this point) to supply fuel to the injectors. A carburetor will require much less pressure than the CFI system will. A good adjustable regulator will help and is the easy way out. Converting the car back to an older style fuel system with cam-driven pump would also work, but you will need a new front cover, and perhaps even the cam eccentric.

Transmission - If you left the AOD hanging off of the back of the CFI engine, you'll need to get a little creative when adjusting the kickdown linkage. I'm not sure if the kits to hook up a Holley or Edelbrock carb to an AOD are even produced, however, I'd thnk they would be. Adjusting the kickdown is *very* critical... the fastest way to kill an AOD is to have its kickdown improperly adjusted. If you've converted to C4 or a manual transmission, this isn't an issue.

If you need to go injected for whatever reason, you can convert to a later style SEFI sysetm. The AOD hookups won't be a problem as these cars came stock with an AOD, but the wiring and such might prove to be a bit difficult for the older car. Then again, you have the EEC-IV somewhere for the CFI car. This is the most reliable system in my opinion, and if I were doing a restomod, I would most definately either go stroked SEFI 351W or go all out and stuff a built and blown 4.6 DOHC in... though I don't have the finances to do any of it.

Personally, I don't think the CFI system is worth the hassle. I've had more driveable carbureted 5.0's with 150,000 miles on the engine than my 75,000 mile CFI system. It bogs all the time, it's miserable when cold, etc. This is with a fresh tune up (O2 sensor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV, fuel filter, air filter, oil + oil filter).

JS

Reply to
JS