1984 mustang, auto tranny probs

Hey there, i got an '84 mustang 5.0, 3 spd auto. Problem is that when in reverse, its like it binds up, whenyou give it gas, its like it bogs out, idles fine though. In neutral its kinda in between drive and neutral, if you just drivin along its fine, if you step on it it slips until bout 3200 RPM then grabs into drive. It drives absolutely normally when shifted into drive. Any ideas? Maybe band adjustment?

Reply to
mustangnatic

I wouln't drive it too fast or too far like that. I had a similar problem like that years ago. It seems there is a plastic gadget that snaps in the linkage and then the transmission doesn't know what to do. Its a simple job to replace the part with the metal replacement. But in my case the 5.0 burned up the transmission because I was too hard on it. Then you will have to get it rebuilt.

Fred

Reply to
Fred V.

He means a clip on the Carb throttle linkage to the trans... must be solid, no play and adjusted properly.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ok, thanx guys, ill let you know how it works out...

Reply to
mustangnatic

A broken band most likely. It's trying to be in two gears at the same time, binding it tight.

Reply to
deadcarnahans