1984 Mustang/Capri 5.0 with a factory turbo or supercharger?

Is it just my imagination? I know that some Mustangs of the time had the 4cyl turbo, and a supercharged V6 was available in some Ford vehicles according to web searches. I have it in the back of my mind that there was a turbo/supercharged version available on

5.0 Mustangs and Capris because I've seen photos of these cars with "domed" hoods. Factory installed? Aftermarket? I dunno.

Still having fun with my 84 Capri RS 5.0

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

ford SVOs, a place over here was into turbos on 4 cyl. racing for many years

Reply to
Mackly

To the best of my knowledge Ford has never offered a production turbo charged V8 engine of any sort in a passenger car anywhere in the world. I think the closest ford gets is the turbocharged inline 6s offered over the years in the Aussie Falcon.

Supercharged, yes. turbocharged v8 prototypes and show cars probably, just not for mass production.

Reply to
Brent

Patent searches show Ford has applied for a patent on a 5.0 pushrod V8 turbo engine, but it is currently in development only. I cannot recall a production V8 turboed Ford engine with the exception of their pickup truck diesels and if you get nit- picky, it's a Navistar engine. The bulged hoods on some of the cars from the late 70's or 80's were for 4 cyl turbos and they were on the Fairmonts, Mustangs, and even some ZX2 Escorts. T-bird turbo coupes come to mind also from the late 80s, again 4 cylinders.

One American V8 car that did have a turbo was the late 70's or early

80's Pontiac TransAm. Pontiac purposely put on a small restrictive turbo and this car was a dog. Factory 258 6 cylinder AMC Gremlins could beat this car in the quarter mile.

If somebody call recall a Ford V8 engine with a turbo from this era, I'd like to see it, but I bet it's aftermarket.

Reply to
Kruse

I think I solved the mystery. When searching the web I found:

Hey, that's my Capri! Color, paint, trim, fake dual exhaust are all there, but the 5.0 on the fender is missing. I can't enlarge the image enough to read the text, but it looks like a turbo is shown in the brochure, and I suspect it's a Capri version of the Mustang 4cyl turbo SVO.

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.