1986 Mustang engine interchange

Hello Group

My son has a 1986 LX Mustang with a 2.3 liter, I was wondering what year

2.3's will fit this car. I realize the accessories will have to be changed depending on the year. But I am not sure if the blocks changed over the years, also if all crank's will accept the flexplate that is in the car now.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Reply to
Built Ford Tough

Hi . The motors that are compatible would be 86 to 93. I had to do the same replacement. I do believe your car has fuel injection right? The 2.3 is a good motor.

Reply to
69GT4spdTrac-loc

This is a carbureted motor. If I went to a injected motor would the electrical controls be hard to change? Just curious.

Reply to
Built Ford Tough

Yes if you get the harness and the computer. You also need to change the fuel tank and pump. I would think you would need to get a donor car That would be the cheapest way.

Reply to
69GT4spdTrac-loc

In the above sentence I should of said no it is not hard to convert to EFI.

Reply to
69GT4spdTrac-loc

I called a local junkyard and they say only '84 thru '86 will fit. Is this the only the years for direct replacement, the others are a little different in accessories or what? Any pointers would be appreciated.

rick

69GT4spdTrac-loc wrote:
Reply to
Driven by What's inside

In 87 the body style changed some but the motors will still be compatible.

Reply to
John Wiebalk