1988 ford mustang lx

will a 3.8L v6 mount in a 1988 ford mustang lx, and what transmission do I need to mount with it?

Reply to
iceriley

Will it mount? Yes, provided it was in a RWD Ford to begin with. But why? It seems to be a ton of work and money for what ends up being a mediocre car. For the time and effort, go with a V8 swap and get it over with, or just go buy a V8 car. They're not that expensive anymore, and will probably cost less in the long run.

If you're using a later model V6 and want to use the fuel injection, you'll need the EEC, wiring harness, etc. Even later models (96-up if they're like the V8s) will need to have the EEC and the correct automatic transmission. If you use a later model auto, you'll be fabricating mounts and getting a custom driveshaft.

You could steal the 3.8L setup from a slightly earlier Fox (think '83) and then everything should bolt up. You're still better off getting a running parts car though, or you'll nickel and dime yourself looking for odds and ends that you thought you had.

JS

Reply to
JS

JS opined in news:egQUd.41786$s16.22400@trndny02:

I'm with JS... BUT WHY!

Yes, you can put a 3.8 in and the best and easiest would be a straight swap out of a wrecked 89-94 TBird or cougar. But those need the AT with them

If the car is a convertible and otherwise a pet, it might be worth it..

Or if it's in the nature of a 'hobby project'..I have done a couple of those. And I learned a lot about the systems while I was doing them.

But if the idea is simply to make the car perform better, it is a waste of time and money, after all is said and done.

And it would be well worth the effort and expense to replace the headgaskets and have the heads checked out by a GOOD shop. 91 up had chronic head gasket probs

The later higher HP 3.8 would be more satisfactory but the ODBII Engine management system would require that you go to extra effort to mate the wiring harnesses.. harder to do than earler EECIV

Sell that car and buy a 5 liter.. or just drive the car.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic