1988 Mustang - Horn won't stop beeping :)

Hey,

Just wondering if I could get some ideas.

I have a convertible 88 Mustang GT. The horn will not stop when the key is turned to the on position or car is started.

I had to pull the center of the steering wheel off and unplug the wire to get it to stop...any ideas on what to check/change?

Thanks, Marc

Reply to
Marc

If it stops when you pull the wire, almost has to be the horn switch itself.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

My horn works without the key on, sounds like an alarm, no?

Reply to
GILL

So does mine, and I have to wonder if pulling the steering wheel was the easiest way to disconnect the horn.

Reply to
WindsorFo

..

It may not have been the easiest but it was the quickest (that part just clips in). The horn is on constantly...after checking even when the key is not in the ignition :(.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Mine did the same thing ... ('89 LX 5.0)

The "switch" wears or breaks down over time. It can be rebuilt easily, I did it myself.

There's 3 layers to the switch: contact : insulator : contact The middle insulator layer has become compressed and no longer keeps the 2 contact layers apart. It needs to be replaced. I used a soft plastic (vinyl ?) material that was just a bit thicker than the original just for good measure. You might even use cardboard. Use the old piece for a pattern and cut out the notches and holes - reassemble.

good luck rd

Reply to
RD Jones