1990 GT rough idle/stalling after battery change

I have a 1990 GT that was running perfectly until I changed the battery. I am assuming the computer memory was erased when the battery was changed, but I cannot get the car to relearn how to idle properly.

I have disconnected the negative terminal a couple times and gave the car another chance to relearn, but each time it is the same thing....the car idles rough and stalls when I have the AC on and put the clutch in while coming to a stop.

I am about to give up and go to a mechanic, but want to save some money if possible and am hoping someone here knows of a solution. Thanks!

Reply to
AAD5

Have you allowed the car to come up to normal operating tempature, cool off, and come back up to operating temp again ?

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Yes, it was brought to operating temp and then allowed to cool off, and then warmed up again...

Reply to
AAD5

AAD5 opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m22.aol.com:

Needs highway miles... esp when the maf is dirty and other sensors are near edge of range.

Now's a good time to do all the maintenance - clean and check the MAF IAC & EGR system too.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

After you reconnect the battery are you letting the car idle for 10 minutes?

If you drive the car, or touch the throttle, or turn on the A/C, or turn the steering wheel, you disrupt the computer re-learn process. The car will re-learn idle, but it will take much longer than if you just leave it alone and let it idle for 10 minutes.

Paul '90 5.0 LX '95 SHO '96 Impala SS

Reply to
pdalt

Yes, I tried that. Still no luck. I talked to a mechanic today and he said that I should drive the car in the city and on the freeway for another week and see if it improves. According to him, the computer sometimes takes several days to relearn everything....

Reply to
AAD5