1990 Mustang GT a/c and turn signals not working correctly

I have a 1990 Mustang GT and I recently took it in to have the heater core replaced (worst labor rip off ever, 9 hours) and when I got my car back, all of a sudden the turn signals and the fan/air conditioning has stopped working. At first I though, oh they just blew a fuse and iddn't replace it so I got out my fuse kit and after checking ALL the fuses, nothing has helped. I am at a loss here and I hate to take it back to the shop because I know they will just tell me that it was nothing that they did and then try to charge me an arm and a leg to find out what it is. If anybody has ANY idea what could be causing this it would be much appreciated, it worked just fine before. Thanks.

Reply to
AZjeweler

I have a 1990 Mustang GT and I recently took it in to have the heater core replaced (worst labor ever, 9 hours) and when I got my car back, all of a sudden the turn signals and the fan/air conditioning has stopped working. At first I though, oh they just blew a fuse and iddn't replace it so I got out my fuse kit and after checking ALL the fuses, nothing has helped. I am at a loss here and I hate to take it back to the shop because I know they will just tell me that it was nothing that they did and then try to charge me an arm and a leg to find out what it is. If anybody has ANY idea what could be causing this it would be much appreciated, it worked just fine before. Thanks.

Reply to
AZjeweler

If this is the way you feel about the integrity of the shop, one has to wonder why you took it there in the first place...... Seeing that the function of those systems affected (meaning anything that was even merely disconnected and reconnected) by the repair haven't been checked make me worry.... I rarely work on cars but I *assume* that the instrument/dashboard panel needs to be removed to accomplish this repair.... making it VERY intrusive.... All the more reason for a good shop to check the function of all accessories.

I can only suggest doing what you appear to dread... return to the shop and state your case.... On the first visit, DO NOT be agressive or combative - this will serve no purpose. This is a concern between adults an should be handled as a concern between adults - and should be able to be resolved....

OTOH, and this may have me ostracized by the NG, it appears that Americans are continually being screwed over..... usually at the hands of other Americans. I have great respect for SOME of the US foreign initiatives but it bothers me that you guys can't trust each other....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Why is it your answer is always a tongue lashing? Canada's population is what, same as California? That leaves 49 other states. We are a big country. We have relatively the same problems and good things as anyone. We don't come to Usenet to say, hey I got my car repaired, and it was done correctly! Oh, and by the way, we're equal opportunity, we get screwed by Canucks too!

Reply to
Gill

Warman just likes to hear himself talk. I really don't think he's Canadian.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Jim, I actually have had this shop do work for me before, they had done a great job replacing my oil pan when i found the drain plug was stripped on the inside of the pan. They did a great job, and that is why I went back to them. I then took it back there when I had my alternator bracket break and had to have that replaced, and they even let me help them find a part since Ford wanted $400 for a new one (they were astonished by this) and I found a used one for like $20. They put it on, and showed me the old broken one so I really thought by then that I could trust them. Plus they have Mustangs in there on a regular basis, they had 3 in there last time I was there, they work on them all the time. I think I have decided to bring it back there and let them see if they just pinched a wire somwhere or forgot to hook something back up. GOD i just wish i had all the tools/equpiment to work on my own car, then none of this would happen. >:(

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
goldandjewels

AN ANSWER!!!!

I had a exactly the same thing happen on my '90 LX 5.0. It turned out to be an electrial problem that mysterically occured when the car was setting while I was out of town. Turned out to be an electrical switch, specifically an ignition switch. I'm not going to jinx myself about how it works now.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

There was a problem like this in the Auto Repair column of the local paper. In this case, Ford car, tranny would not shift correctly when lights were on!!!

Bad connection at rear tail light was fix!!

Was feeding back to electronic tranny control module causing grief.

Go figure....

Reply to
Terry Brannigan

Did you pay for the ign switch repair? There was a Ford Recall on those ign switches and Ford replaced them for free.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yes I did. I didn't even think about a recall. I guess in theory I might be able to get them to reimburse me.

Reply to
Dave Combs