1993 Cobra Parts

Anyone know a good place to find them? The Ford catalog is useless.

Thanks.

BradandBrooks

B,

What in particular are you looking for?

My two favorites for "5.0" parts are 50resto and PPI.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Mas Plak

Nothing in particular, but will eventually. Thanks guys.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Brad,

Tell me about your car.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

I would if I could, but I don't have it yet. ;) I just bought it. Getting shipped up here from Florida. Sold my ultra nice 93GT to pay for it. All I really know is that it's nice with 40,000 miles, red, grey cloth. And 100% stock. I'm really torn between modding it or not. I mean, a Vortech can be removed. Subs, can't. Love the 93 Cobras, possibly my favorite Mustang ever. I really hope the plate "1ST SVT" or "93COBRA" isn't taken yet. I only know of one other here in Calgary. How about yours... I'm quite curious.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Brad,

I got mine in '98 with 3X,000 miles. At the time it was also pure stock. It's black with a gray gut. Soon after purchase I added a full set of Konis, and a little later I added a set of headers, 3.55s, larger mass-air meter, and an A9L processor (from a '90 GT). I now have 123,000 on it, but it still looks half its age -- zero door dings/ rust, though it does show some road wear.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Excellent car. How do you find the handling vs the normal GT. I know Ford did a few things different with the Cobra. I was thinking of putting in the Ford C springs, but maybe the F... not sure what kind of difference there is between the two vs. the stock Cobra.

I can't wait for mine. It was supposed to be on the truck today but got delayed to Friday... hope to get it before it snows. lol

TTYL

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

The car I owned prior to Cobra was a '87 LX 5.0 I had purchased new. Being an '87 it had the much smaller 15" 10-hole wheels. It was a complete stripper so it weighed about 300 lbs less than the Cobra and the suspension is stiffer (less floaty) making it a bit more tossable. But the Cobra has far more grip and it rides much smoother.

The rear springs and shock valving are softer and the front sway bar is smaller.

To sum it up, the GTs and 5.0 LX are boy racers. The Cobra is more mature.

I was thinking of putting in the

Stiffer.

Be sure to give me/us a review when you get it.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Out of curiosity why would you change the Cobra computer to an A9L? From what I remember isn't the Cobra computer more aggressive and the way to go? I purposely bought a Cobra MAF upgrade kit (with larger injectors and MAF) for my '88 Mustang over the other Ford Motorsport MAF kit for this reason. Would love to hear more about this. Also what is PPI and whats their website? I am familar with 50resto, thanks!

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

Regarding the A9L processor, it had the most aggressive tuning tables programmed into it of all the EEC-IV boxes put into the Mustang. They are coverted by some but you can accomplish the same thing through after market tuning with chips that piggy back on the output port of the computer.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Mike already answered this one.

Here you go.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Hey Patrick...

So, the F are stiffer than the C? Maybe that is the way I will go then. Not looking for a Sunday driver with this car, more like a Saturday nite driver.

What's with the smaller front sway bar?

What about tires? Do you find the 245s are good enough? Might one go a bit wider, especially on the rear?

How about the 3.08s? I think that is too tall (yes, coming from 2.73s) for such a car. 3.55s should be the way to go here.

I don't know, I want subs, chassis stiffening, power adder, gears, suspension, exhaust... holy, I think I just rang up $20,000 in bills there! lol. But then there is the 100% stock angle. Those are the sweetest over time. I'm so confused!!

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

I don't know much about the Ford springs. I was referring to Motorsport springs vs stock Cobra.

All I can say about springs is I was very happy with my LX's progressive-rate Eibachs.

I caution you to think long and hard before you make lots of changes. IMO, these cars (5.0s) are starting to come into their prime. 5-10 years ago the modified cars got all the attention, but I think it's starting to swing back the other way. The clean original/original looking cars are the ones most desired/respected.

A softer suspension sticks better on bumpy streets.

IMO, going a size larger won't even be noticeable. Plus, you won't be able to rotate your tires. Keep the 245s.

Most modifiers will say go with 3.73s. But for my tastes, 3.73s are too steep with the 3.35 first gear. 3.55s tame that gear down a bit and still have plenty of pull. Most will call me crazy, but if I were to do it again, I'd now go with 3.27s. With 3-buck-a-gallon gas and speed limits/expectations of 75-85 mph, 3.27s would be a little friendlier/funner.

If I was going to do something "radical", I'd pop on a Kenne Bell S/C, dial in a mild boost level (upgrade the fuel pump and ignition system). Then if I ever decided I no longer needed all that fun, it would be quick and easy to take it back to pure stock.

I think you know my opinion by now.

Patrick '93 Cobra (only has a couple upgrades, I like 'em looking stock.)

Reply to
NoOption5L

Yeah, it's a tough call. Regardless what I do, or not, I'm keeping the stock parts. And if I'm not mistaken Eibach makes the Ford springs.

Damn, I hope the car gets here soon. It's been a month now since I bought it, but I hear it's finally across the border!

TTYS.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Oh, one more thing... the only car rag, er, mag, I could find on a 1993 Cobra road test said that the extra 30 horsepower comes "via low-end torque" (though the torque numbers are the same as the GT) and "thus, driveability". WTH does that mean? I can't imagine a car you can start from a dead stop in

2nd gear with 2.73s out back sacrificing driveability. (I've done this in my GT before many times... yeah yeah... hard on the car, whatever...) Any idea what this means or is it another mis-guided comment from a car rag?

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Brad,

No, they're correct. It simply means the torque curve is a little higher in rev range compared to the standard 5.0. In other words, it'll feel a little less punchy/torquey down low, but it's stronger up top -- it's more of a rever than a grunter.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Cool. Thanks. Some 3.55s will rectify that I am sure.

Gawd, my car better get here soon! I'm going crazy! lol

BradandBrooks

Man up, get the 3.73s

Reply to
WindsorFox

I dunno. I was once shown some really interesting math by the guys at Waterloo Ford in Edmonton (ugh, Edmonton, I know...lol ;)). Anyway, they showed me how 3.55s were the best gear for acceleration on the 5.0 given the tranny ratios. It was totally cool. I wish I had saved that.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks