1994 gt performance mods

I am looking at upgrading my 94 gt with a 94-95 Cobra upper and lower intake, 1.7 roller rockers, and 24 pound injectors. My question is, are there any reliability/daily drive problems that might come with these mods, other than more fuel consumption? I have heard that the stock strut brace will not fit with the cobra intake, is this true? If so, how much does a taller brace usually cost or do I even need one since I do not take corners extremely hard? FYI, these three mods will be teamed up with a 76mm C&L MAF Kit and a 65 mm throttle body. Any opinions on how much horsepower these three new mods would put down on a dyno? Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Ross Ondrusek

You'll get minimal hp gains with just an intake swap without also replacing the heads. Also, you don't need larger fuel injectors until you're making close to 280 rwhp. Here's the mods I would make:

First - Subframe connectors (welded not bolted on) will do much more for handling than a strut tower brace. You'll feel like you're in a tank. Body flex will be reduced substantially.

Second - Differential gears (3.73 or 4.10) will make a big difference in acceleration. They will drop your 1/4 mile times by .3-.5 seconds which will feel like you gained 30-50 hp.

Third - Any exhaust improvements are worth while. A set of 1-5/8" headers, 2.5" H/X pipe and 2.5" cat back would be worth 15-20 rwhp.

Fourth - Underdrive pullies will get you about 5-8 rwhp and for the price of $80-$100 is a pretty good $/hp ratio. Some complain about a low charge threshold on the alternator and lower cooling ability of the water pump.

A K&N air filter, larger MAF, roller rockers and throttle body might give you another 10-15 rwhp but until the heads are replaced with high flow pieces these type mods just aren't woth the cost. Do> I am looking at upgrading my 94 gt with a 94-95 Cobra upper and lower

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE