1994 Mustang Not Starting No Spark

I hope someone can help. My wife had a 94 Mustang that we were storing. When we parked it everything was running fine. Later, we went back to start it up and no luck. It turns over fine just no fire. Gas pump is working and I have tried a new ignition coil. Any other Ideas Thanks Kevin

Reply to
dorun64

Pull a plug and see if you have spark?

Be sure you have gas - get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure at the schraeder valve on the engine fuel rail. You didnt mention engine size, but afaik, all 94's had electric fuel pump.

This sounds like the fuel pump cutoff switch has been triggered, but you say you are sure you have gas. How sure are you?

Reply to
cprice

" snipped-for-privacy@here.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@here.com:

If he hears the fuel pump run, that means the inertia sw or relay isnt the problem.. still might be no pressure, however.

BUT FIRST!!!! Assuming 5.0 here as he says he 'replaced coil'

- dont worry... the coil replacement wasnt totally wasting money, open frame coils have a definite 'lifetime'.

TACH! (get this in your heads kiddies!) What does your tach do when you switch key on?

- tach bounce with key on means coil has power through it, DOES NOT mean coil is GOOD, could still be shorted or arcing internally but it's getting power.

Then: What does it do while cranking?

- Tach bounce while cranking means there is a switching signal from the distributor. Could still be 'off' time but there should be some indication of firing.

Note it is NOT going to bounce while cranking if it's not getting power.

Stored how long? Gas ages, you know.. esp if you havent used sta-bil or the like. If more than a year, add fresh so that it's at least 50% fresh.

Adjust cranking gas flow.

If it doesnt start as normal, foot off the pedal; THEN try pumping the accel and see if it fires or tries to.

- symptom when not getting enough fuel Sometimes rubber tubing from FP to pickup dteriorates and wont pull gas from the pickup

With no luck there.. wait a half hour or so and try with your foot to the floor and see if it wants to start.

- symton when getting TOO MUCH fuel Check a plug, if wet, suspect Fuel press reg, or ECT sensor.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns96B98E20BA61pettyfogery@207.115.63.158:

OR old, bad gas.. as i said above that.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Or it could be your TFI Module. It is what is responsible for sending current to the coil. If you take a test light and ground one end and test one of the wirers at the coil when turning it over at the same time it should flash on and off. If you have no power to the coil then chances are it is the TFI. Since you say you have a 94 it is not mounted on the side of the distributor like the 86-93's 5.0's . So ask a dealer or someone here in the group at to where it is located on the

95-95 cars. I know the pull out spout is located at the air filter. Good luck. Should be a easy fix.

Reply to
Clark Kent

I should have been clearer. It is the 3.8L. Are the TFI and ICM one and the same? The car is about 200 miles away being stored in a barn at my parents farm so it hard to work on very often. I remeber changing what I believed to be the ICM which was located on the pasenger side fender. It had two small screws attaching and I believe a wiring harness with four wires. I'll be going back in about two weeks so this diagnosis info is good. It has the distributorless ignition, so is all this info still relevant? I checked the fuel cutoff switch and it is not triggered. I checked for spark after pulling of the wires, none.

I really appreciate all the input because I hate to see it just sitting there. Thnaks Kevin

Reply to
dorun64