1998 Mustang Convertible

Just brought it home. 163000 on it, has some issues but for 1500 can't complain. Needs a new rack, tires, air conditioning, ABS light on and Check Engine light on. It also has a top issue. I will spend most of a weekend pulling all of the wiring out of the thing from the previous owner's over use of massive speaker wire! I am good with most everything but this top is something new to me.

I got it to go down tonight. Windows down, parking brake up, held the switch down for several seconds and then heard the motor. The top finally moved and went all the way down. 10 minutes later I had to manually pull the top up because no matter how much I played with the parking brake and switch (drove the car) it would not move. Is there a test for the switch and then the motor? Is the parking brake relay a possible failure point to also be tested?

Thanks to all in advance!

Reply to
ReddDawg

On Jul 14, 11:54 pm, ReddDawg wrote: Is there a

Be it from a dealer or a good aftermarket manual, you need a wiring diagram.

Reply to
Kruse

Here's the list of possible sources for that particular trouble:

- Convertible top switch

- Central junction box (CJB) fuse 20 (15A)

- Parking brake switch

- Lower relay

- Raise relay

- Circuitry (basically wiring faults)

Here's a link to the shop manual's diagnostic process (it's an awful link, I know, but it's all I've got at the moment :) ):

Dan P49Y83+

Reply to
Dan

A wiring diagram only gives you a schematic of the system(s). I asked for a test for the switch and then the motor.

Thanks anyway

Reply to
ReddDawg

The game plan at this point is to start at the switch and check it and the parking brake switch while am there - two birds one stone. I need to pull the console out anyway because some cretin spray painted some of it blue for accents. (along with the upper vent panel, places on the door panels)

Anyway, after checking those two and applying contact cleaner to them if they are good I will move on to the trunk where I get to remove all of the panels and de-fuse what is left of the monster cable collection from the previous radio. Do a little spring cleaning and check the fluid while I am at it.

The feeling I have is that I am going to find it in the top switch or maybe... maybe a flakey ground. No experience with the pumps but am assuming/hoping that the intermittant problem is in the switch.

Reply to
ReddDawg

Here's the list of possible sources for that particular trouble:

- Convertible top switch

- Central junction box (CJB) fuse 20 (15A)

- Parking brake switch

- Lower relay

- Raise relay

- Circuitry (basically wiring faults)

Here's a link to the shop manual's diagnostic process (it's an awful link, I know, but it's all I've got at the moment :) ):

Dan P49Y83+

Dan, Tiny URL is your friend:

:)

Reply to
ah

Traced the top back to the parking brake switch.

On to bigger and better things. Chasing another problem I pulled the air bag filter and now have the stupid flashing airbag light. I will pull the glove box and take a swing at resetting that this weekend.

Air conditioning compressor clutch does not engage. I tried jumping the relay on the top side (close to the firewall) and got the fan to come onto high but did not get the clutch to engage. I am not getting power to the compressor. I am assuming the CCRM has given up the ghost?

Reply to
ReddDawg