1999 Chev C2500 5.0 crankshaft

This may be crazy, but here goes. I spun a bearing on this truck. As far as I can tell with he engine still in the truck the rod on that throw seems ok. My question is .. Has anyone removed the engine, put it on an engine stand, turned it upside down and changed the crank without disturbing the top end. The top end is in great shape. Seems like it should work. I think even if the rod is bad it could be pulled far enough out of the cylinder to change it. What do you guy's think?

Reply to
Billy Vmax

First, why is this posted on a Ford forum? Whatever. On some engines you MIGHT be able to do it, but off hand, I can't think of one. What are you going to do if the piston pin is a pressed fit in the connecting rod? Even if you have retaining locks in the pistons, it still won't work. Compared to what you have to spend, head gaskets are cheap. Plan on disassembling the engine with the heads OFF.

Reply to
Kruse

Assuming the bearing that spun is a rod bearing, the connecting rod is now junk... the rod bearing bore will not be round nor will it have the correct bearing "crush".

Good judgemnet comes from experieince.... unfortunately, experience comes from bad judgement.

Reply to
Jim Warman