1999 GT won't go into drive

I'm having a problem with my auto '99 GT, when I put my foot on the brake it will not shift out of park. The brake lights don't light up when I mash the brake, so I'm guessing that it is a problem with the car sensing that I'm pushing the brake down.

It started around a week ago, the car would give me trouble going into drive, but if I simeltaneously mashed the brake pedal and the button on the shifter, I could eventually get it into drive. Sometimes, it would work fine.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what I should look for/try out?

Thanks

Reply to
Erik Hovind

BOO switch. The Brake On Off switch on the pedal arm is faulty, replace it.

Until then, realize your brake lights aren't working... but to start the car, turn the key to the first postion(unlock) - the position before ANY lights come on in the dash, shift to neutral, start the car, then shift & go.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

It was a disconnected wire at the switch, thanks!

Reply to
Erik Hovind

Even easier!

Rob