1999 Mustang GT Fuel Filter

I am wondering if there is a trick to replacing a fuel filter. I can't figure out how to remove the old one. Do you just pull the fuel line off each end or do you need some kind of special tool? TIA, James

Reply to
James Fowler

Relieve fuel pressure first... this is very important.. I didn't the first time & I got gas sprayed all over my face & chest. Wasn't fun.

Next... man-handle that bitch off... I did.. didn't damage anything.. ended up using a wrench though. Haynes just says pull it off. So does Chiltons.. so I did. It took a LOT outta me getting it off though. There are some "clips" that you'll need to remove first. Have fun.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

A spring-lock tool is normally required, and even using this tool, it takes some noodling to get it to pop loose. While pressing the tool against the internal spring, one must push, then pull the assembly to get it loose. It takes a fair bit of patience to accomplish. I have a couple of sets - one is made of steel, the other nylon; I prefer the nylon. You can find a set at most parts stores for about $10 bucks.

Even if you do relieve line pressure (depress schrader valve on fuel rail), you will still be showered in gasoline. Lay sideways so that you don't have to bathe in the damn stuff.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Reply to
JD Adams

Go to Autozone/Pepboys/whatever and tell them you need the fuel filter removal tool for a late model Ford. See a picture of one here

Cost me about 8 bucks and made the job take about 10 minutes. You will still get a bath in your favorite 93 octane aftershave.

Reply to
Mike Patrick

Rein

Reply to