1999 Mustang GT Paint Problems?

I just purchased a 1999 Mustang GT. The thing is in damn-near perfect condition. However, when I stand back from it, it looks as if the door is a different color than the back quarter panel. That is the only place I notice a color difference.

I am wondering if it actually is a different color or if my eyes are playing tricks on me. The door is more flat and the quarter panel is more curved. Perhaps it is just the way it reflects light. Additionally, the fiberglass scoop seems darker and maybe it it is just the side scoop causing the apparent difference. I suppose it would absorb more light, right?

Anyone have thoughts on this? My worst fear is that the car got a bad paint batch mix during manufacturing, or the door or quarter panel has been repainted.

Reply to
cah307

cah307 opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I think you are a little in denial.

Otherwise you would have turned the car around to see if the other side did the same.

I doesnt take much of a scrape to need a repaint.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I agree with BM

That's a sure sign of a hatchet paint repair. It is one of the things (you are learning right now), to look for when buying a car.

Make a habit of looking at cars going down the road, You will be amazed at how many have what they call a "butt match" repair. Generally done for a dealer that didn't want to pay for more than just the dent fix or by a shop that put in the lowest bid because they didn't add in blending from panel to panel.

Kate

| > I am wondering if it actually is a different color or if my eyes are | > playing tricks on me. The door is more flat and the quarter panel is | > more curved. Perhaps it is just the way it reflects light. | > Additionally, the fiberglass scoop seems darker and maybe it it is just | > the side scoop causing the apparent difference. I suppose it would | > absorb more light, right? | >

| > Anyone have thoughts on this? My worst fear is that the car got a bad | > paint batch mix during manufacturing, or the door or quarter panel has | > been repainted. | >

| | I think you are a little in denial. | | Otherwise you would have turned the car around to see if the other side did | the same. | | I doesnt take much of a scrape to need a repaint. | | -- | - Yes, I'm a crusty old geezer curmudgeon.. deal with it! -

Reply to
SVTKate

On 14 Feb 2005 13:23:07 -0800, "cah307" wrote something wonderfully witty:

During manufacturing on a six year old car? Yeah right, how about a collision repair? Now that I'll believe.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I went out this evening and saw several on the lots. They all look the same... especially the red ones and white ones (couldn't tell on the black ones). That side mold is darker than the door and quarter panel. It does make the illusion that the back quarter panel is darker. That explains why I cannot see a paint contrast anywhere else on the car... yes, it looks the same on both sides. Certain light tends to exaggerate the problem. Obviously it looked fine when purchased in full sunlight.

Reply to
cah307