2000 GT gas mileage? can't believe mine

i am having a hard time believing how good of gas mileage i am getting. i don't baby my car but don't beat it either. the most i had ever gotten for mileage was 28 mpg on a straight interstate at 65mph with 40 pounds of air pressure in the tires. i usually got 26-27 depending on what roads and how i drove. very little city driving. i live near small towns. i changed the rear end fluid last month to Valvoline full synthetic 75-140 with 7 oz of CRC Trans-X posi-trac additive. i have 31, 550 miles on the car with original gatorbacks. the last two trips, both over 300 miles, i got 29.51 and 29.67 miles per gallon, filling up at the same pump at the same station in the same direction. the trips were combined between 2 lanes at 60 and 4 lanes at 67 mph. i am riding alone and weigh about 230 pounds, with 35 in the tires now. just curious what other people get with the 99-2000 year GT's. i have talked to the owners of the newer styles with the different transmissions and the hood and side scoops and they can't get 23 mpg on the hwy. i have a t-45 tranny.

Reply to
joe

joe

I got 30mpg in my 96 GT a couple times.

John

93 GT
Reply to
jmvannoy

Last Monday I got about 8mpg. Mine has around 35K miles, but the Gators are long gone. Here's why.

GILL

Is that at the festival curve at PIR?

Reply to
Blue Gator

I believe your right. Turn 2 in the chicane? Ever drive it?

Reply to
GILL

Well, it's not the same thing but my stock 93 5.0 manual, with 2.73s, can get - I swear! - 30mpg on the highway if I drive it in 5th at 60mph. Any faster and it goes to about 25mpg at 70mpg. So I'm the guy on the highway in the red 5.0 at 60mph... :) Wave if you see me. :)

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

The only time I got to drive it was a sampler course (road, autox, skid car, etc.) with Pitarresi Driving School (Now known as Pro Drive) back around 1992 or 1993. I've driven autox on the infield a couple times and have been to the track many other times over the years. I live in Albany a bit more than an hour south on I-5. I'll be playing golf not too far from there tomorrow (oops, later today). Do you live in the area?

Reply to
Blue Gator

My 89 LX automatic got 26 city, 27 highway when stock and only a couple years old. Then I added an Auburn locker, 3.73 gears, taller tires on

17" rims and a B&M shift improver kit. It dropped to about 18 mpg all around. I did find that if I drove the interstate at about 85 mph instead of 65 mph that my mileage improved to about 22 mpg. Guess that put the RPMs in the sweet spot.
Reply to
Blue Gator

Reply to
mustangjoe

I was at a SAAC open track event last Monday(not a member)and got to see some pretty cool cars out on the track. I'm a transplant from socal. Now in Oregon City. I work with a guy from Albany, He and his wife drive a Prius to Wilsonville and back.

Reply to
GILL

Years ago I went to a few meetings of a Cobra owner's club in Portland. They couldn't stand the SAAC people, said they were all too stuck up. I don't know what happened between the groups, but there was obviously some animosity. I didn't believe half of what they said about SAAC.

I barely remember Oregon City from when I was a child, but it's supposed to be a nice area?

I'll have to watch for the next SAAC event and try to attend. Maybe I'll see you there.

Reply to
Blue Gator

I like it here. I left a real rat race behind me and I don't even like to go into Portland that much. By Cobra owners, you mean Shelby, or Mustang Cobra's? I can't see SAAC people looking stuck up to real Cobra owners. Anyways I chatted with some of them and they seemed cool to me, even though there were no real Cobra's there, I have talked with some of them at the Knotts Berry Farm Ford show. Looks like the next SAAC event is in September.

My car needs sticky tires and bigger brakes, but the nut behind the steering wheel is a major (weak link).

Reply to
GILL

Reply to
walt peifer

Went up too NHIS Sunday for the Nextel Cup race and I got 24.3 MPG. Most of the time I was going 70/75 mph except for the stop & go traffic close to the track. Martin

2002 GT 5 spd 243rwhp 285 rwtq
Reply to
Martin

thank you for all your responses. i am still trying to figure out if the changing rear end fluid and new modifier made a difference or just weather changes. i will have to see what i get when it is 60 degrees and the air conditioner is not on. i will assume i have a good mileage car. i broke it in hard when it was new. rev it way out and then let off the gas. did that a few times for the first couple days.

Reply to
joe

I hope you were revving it way up with a load on it, not just while you were in neutral...

All car engines are designed to work against a load, Revving your engine in neutral is NOT good for it.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

i did something like this, only on the street in first gear, not on a dyno. i did it the first three times i drove it out on the street

joe