2001 mustang lower ball joint

2001 mustang I can't seem to get the lower joint out of the control arm. I have borrow a C type ball joint remover and have put a lot of pressure on the threads. I don't want to break the remover. Is there a C clip somewhere? I have the replacement and it appears it must be pressed down? Anyone done one of these? Len
Reply to
Len Rominger

Not in that model but I have never understood how a "C" balljoint remover could work. They are retained by 'friction' {MUCH FRICTION} fit.

The ones I did in the past strained a 20 ton hydraulic press. Take the control arm off and pay a full service shop or machine shop to replace it. It's just a 5 minute job for them.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I managed to replace a ball joint while leaving a control arm on the car with the clamp-like tool from autozone... car was a winter beater. I decided not to bother with that with my Mustang. I bought new cobra control arm assemblies to put in when I get around to it.

Reply to
Brent

I just did the ball joints in my S-10 with the c-clamp type remover and it worked. I used my impact wrench on it to tighten it, there is no way I could have gotten it tight enough by hand. Nothing broke. I pressed the new ones in with a small hydraulic press with some rube Goldberg actions.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher