2001 Mustang V6 - Excessive Electrical Power Drain When At Stop.

Hi, I am having a problem with excessive electrical power drain when I come to a stop in my 2001 Ford Mustang V6.

For example, when I have my headlights on and I come to a stop, the engine will go down to about 500 RPM or less and shudder. This will also happen if I put down both power windows at once when at a stop, the RPMs will drop and engine will shudder. This usually does not happen if the lights are off, the radio is off, the fan is off and I am not moving the windows up or down.

In my unprofessional opinion, it does not seem that I am getting enough electrical power.

Could it be a weak battery or failing alternator or is this just normal?

My car: 2001 Ford Mustang V6, stock.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
kazaddum

at 10 Oct 2003, kazaddum [ snipped-for-privacy@dkdkfk55.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Check some of your local autoparts stores. Most of them will do a free check of your battery/alternator. a month ago my wife's geo had problems and WallyWorld was the closest. They even did a free check of the battery and showed me it had only 82 Amp output where it should have 450. :-)

Even if it's not either, by checking them for free you'll have eliminated that and the cost of having the Ford dealer do it. Of course, if she's still under warranty, by all means take her to the dealer. :-)

Reply to
Paul

This may sound odd but maybe the throttle body area and IAC need cleaning and adding the power load is affecting the idle quality that is already borderline but acceptable under normal conditions. Just a thought that you may want to look at state of tune issues as well as wiring gremlins.

StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Stuart&Janet opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@golden.net:

Actually it's not odd...

Stu is right, you most likely have an idle control problem.

It's normal for headlights and any other high power system to pull the engine down but the PCM should compensate by opening the IAC.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic