2001 won't start

Hello,

I have a 2001 Mustang GT that will not start. In the winter I store it in the garage. Most winters I try to drive it about once a month, but the last 6 months have been very hectic and I did not have an opportunity to drive it. So, last weekend I tried to start it up, and it wouldn't start. I have a new battery for it. The first 3 times I tried starting it I couldn't get it to start. After that, I tried two more times and it would start, but it would die about 1 second later. I let the car sit for a few minutes, and tried to start it again and it wouldn't start at all. Has anyone had this experience or know what the problem could be? Funds are low right now and I do not look forward to having it towed to a garage. Also, I am not mechanically inclined. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
BullsFan

Change the fuel filter... then, before attempting to start it, add a can or two of drygas.

Cycle the Fuel pump several times.. maybe ten.

Do you know the protocol for starting a balky FI engine?

Just like the old time carbs:

FIRST, floor accel pedal.. feeds less gas during cranking.

if no start, then pump the pedal, feeds more gas.

Next time use StaBil (fuel stabilizer),. whether you think you're going to run it once a month or not.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If you are truly not mechanically inclined call a tow truck and let a competent shop get it squared away for ya.

Reply to
Zombywoof

I had a similar problem not too long ago with my 2001 GT. It would fire up but immedietly die. Turned out to be sludge in the throttle body assembly. This is, supposedly, an issue with Fords after a few years.

I got it cleaned up, and everything is right as rain.

- Max - ======= My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your allusions and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. - Huey Freeman

Reply to
Max C. Webster III