2002 GT Question

Hey Everyone, Let me start out by saying that I know very little about anything having to do with cars beyond changing oil, and brakes, and other small maintenance tasks. I have a friend with a 2002 Mustang GT Convertible that he wants to sell in very good condition for a fairly decent price. I want to buy it from him, but the problem is that it's an automatic. I absolutely refuse to own an automatic transmition. My question is, is it possible (and costworthy) to convert it to a 5 speed manual transmition, and what would be the approx. cost to have it done? I'm getting a really good deal on it due to a small crack in the windsheild and a 4 foot long key scatch on the door (which I don't really care about because it's not too obvious) but the dealership won't give him much because of these problems. Thanks in advance for you help!

Agonizing Fury

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Agonizing Fury

The swap is fairly involved, and can be rather expensive. But it can be done. You'll need to swap all the parts from the back of the block to the drive shaft. Some of the wiring is different. And I think the computer is different. All 4.6 crankshafts should be drilled for a pilot bearing. If that's not tru, you'll need to swap crankshafts. So you might as well swap out the entire driveline, from fan to driveshaft. Which may actually be the easiest way to go. Best suggestion is to find a similar vehicle - like a coupe, or a roll-over - with a manual and then swap all the right parts. It's all factory parts, so there's no inventing or fabrication involved. It is work, and it is time consuming. But if you're reasonably intelligent and can read the factory service manual, you can get it done. Cost depends on how good you are at scouring bargains. Find a low mileage roll-over coupe and you have all the parts you need. But figure around $4,000. Some of that you'll get back when you sell what's left over. For a beginner, you'll have to buy some stuff that you screw up. And there are a few small parts that just don't get re-used; like radiator hoses, coolant, oil, etc. Is it worth it? Maybe. Depending on how cheap this convertable is. Would I do it? No. Too much work for a factory stock car. I'll do that much work for something special, but not for factory stock. And don't forget that you'll lose resale value. If I was looking at a car and discovered somebody swapped out drivelines, I'd be real cautious about the purchase.

Reply to
.boB

In a word...NO! Sure, if you've got lots of time and money you can do almost anything, but what you're suggesting is just not cost effective. Flywheel, clutch, clutch hydraulics, transmission, shifters, computer and wiring harness, pedals and more. AND, if you have to pay someone else to do this for you...fugetaboutit. Seriously, you would be better off to look for another ride. PS: I have an 87 GT (AOD automatic), and a 93 Cobra (T5 5-speed) and I enjoy the automatic as much as the stick.

Reply to
stevev

$2100 gets you all the parts needed from

. If you and a friend that knows more about cars can do it in the garage, it might be worth it - that's really your call.

Reply to
Keith

Rein

Hey folks,

Just got my 2004 Mystichrome convertible. I have heard that there will only be 1000 made. Does anyone know how many convertibles there are? And how to tell what number mine is?

Thanks! Todd

2004 Cobra Convertible in Mystichrome 2001 Lincoln LS 1997 SHO 1987 Mustang GT
Reply to
DrScore

I don't know the answer to your question, but talk about having a whole lineup of sweet cars.... damn. If the '87 were just a no option LX notch, it'd be damn near perfect.

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to
DrScore

The fastest stock Fox Mustang (not including the '93 Cobra, which *might* be faster, not sure) is an '87 no option notchback 5.0 5-speed. They're light and have plenty of power. Notchbacks are have a slightly stronger chassis inherent in the roof design and the lack of a big gaping hole in the back that is the hatchback.

I've had plenty of Fox hatches though and love them all the same. There's just something about a nice notch though. I had one but sold it to a friend of mine who would enjoy it more...

Good luck getting the brakes on the '87 and let us know how it turns out.

Oh, I thought of one more thing you ned to complete the list. 5-speed Super Coupe. Nice cars. Would have kept mine if it didn't need so much work when I bought it.

Is the LS a stick?

JS

Reply to
JS

I know all about the notchbacks, but personally, its looks just don't work for me. I really just drooled back in '87 when I first laid eyes on it, and I got the car I wanted. Hence, I have kept it ever since.

The LS is a V-8, which > The fastest stock Fox Mustang (not including the '93 Cobra, which *might* be

Reply to
DrScore

Good plan. I'm not knocking the car (had an '88 GT myself, along with an '85 GT, '87 notch, 3 convertibles, and several Capris)... just saying if I had my choice, I'd go with the stripper notch.

That sucks on both counts. Good choice on the suspension though. They should make a V8 6-speed LS.

As much as I'm not really a luxury car kinda guy (into cars that are just fast, creature comforts get in the way), I really like the LS. My T-bird was the closest thing I've ever owned to luxury. It was loaded, but the seats more than made up for the rest of the crap in the way. If I could have taken those seats out and put them in my '97 Cobra, I would have, but the kid buying the car wouldn't have been too happy. That and I don't think they'd bolt right in.

Oh well, have some racing seats just dying to jump into that car.

JS

Reply to
JS