2002 headlight switch knob removal

I want to remove the dash gauge cluster from my 2002 V6 Mustang ragtop but I can't get the headlight switch knob off. The aftermarket manual I have says to use a small screwdriver to press the tab in the slot of the knob shaft and pull; and there is a slot in the knob shaft with a visible metal tab; but I have tried unsuccessfully on several occasions to get the knob off. I have pushed that little metal tab forward, backwards, in, out, down and even tried pulling on it with forceps, but the knob won't budge. Is there a trick to getting this darn thing off? Any tips?

Thanks - Squidly

Reply to
SquidInk

I cannot remember 'exactly' how I got it off but I did. Inside the slot, there is a little clip that sits in a groove. You have to move the clip so it is not sitting in the groove so that you can slide off the knob. Once you get it off, you will easily see how it works. If I remember correctly, I used a tiny screwdriver and moved the clip back towards the nose of the car while pulling on the knob. It's very tiny and very hard to see how it works while the knob is on. It's a spring clip.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful than that.

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

Try the button on the switch. A small button on the switch behind the face plate will allow you to remove the whole rod from the switch. You have to pull the rod out until the button depresses and then you can pull it out.

The lights will be on so you may want to disconnect the battery or gently push the switch rod in until the lights go out without locking the rod back in place.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

That worked. Thanks! What a PITA that was.

Reply to
SquidInk

No kidding...I felt the same way after I got mine off too

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.