2002 Mustang 6cyl -Automatic slow response to downshifting

I have a 2002 Mustang 6cyl automatic. Since the day i got the car new it has always been very slow to to respond to downshifting when i step on the accelerator. When i do it manually there's no problem but for example when i merge onto the highway while already doing about 30 to

40mph the car will be in third, i step on the gas(all the way) and nothing, the car just bogs down, then after about 3 seconds it finally kicks in a downshifts. The car then finally accelerates ok.

My old Chevy years ago had a similar problem; i found it was a vacuum leak on the trans. Any ideas on this Mustang? To me it appears to be factory this way, but there has to be someway to adjust this by linkage or something. Any ideas will be grateful.

Thanks, Ron

Reply to
kavchok

Maybe a Diablosport or other type of tuner will help you out. A lot of tuners let you change the shift points. The factory settings are preset for a modest driver. Have you tried disconnecting your battery so that your tranny relearns your driving habits?

Reply to
I2812

Hello

I had a similiar problem on my '01 V6. I my case cleaning of the MAF sensor helped a lot. I coudn't believe the difference. After that I almost felt it too sensitive with kickdowns! :) If you disassemble the strange air box containing the MAF, you should pay a lot of attention to the neoprene gasket when putting things back together. I don't understand, how Ford could design it that way. With time that seal leaks unmetered air and dust into the system - I even considered filing the gap with silicone sealant to make it 100% tight.

If you pull out the MAF sensor from its housing it may appear quite clean, but slightest amount of dust on resistance wires makes lots of difference. Use electronic solvent in a spray can (or brake parts cleaner) and spray it liberally. Let it soak for a while, and then spray again. If some residue is still there, use a corner of folded paper tissue to gently rub it off. To remove the sensor you will need the security torx bit, but now I'm not sure about the size. T27 maybe?

I wish you luck Marcin

Uzytkownik napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
2RBN8R

Thanks guys. These sound like a couple good ideas, i'll start with the battery, it's been hooked up since the day i got the car. Ron

2RBN8R wrote:
Reply to
kavchok