2002 MUSTANG REAR

2002 must have been a good year,LOL!

winze

That's interesting... I did not realize you could buy the whole ring and pinion section as a unit. I wonder how hard it is to install the axles and axle tubes to this center section. I wonder if you could buy this center section new from Ford with the gears installed, set up properly and ready to go, thus no need to trust any mechanics to install the gears in your existing rear and possibly screw it up. I guess the only problem with buying a center section from Ford would be limited available ratios (just

3.27 and 3.55 I assume), and a very high price. OR... I wonder if there are any highly reputable speed shops that sell 3.73 ring and pinion center sections set-up, mail-order, ready to install into the car. From my point of view, the biggest problem with swapping rear gears is finding a shop that can actually do the job right... I would never have anyone touch the rear unless they were VERY reputable with many happy late-model Stang rear gear swap customers. My guess is that there are not many shops like this in the country, so the mail-order idea appeals to me if this can actually be done. It would be sweet to be able to buy a ring and pinion already set-up that you could just drop into the car, done. Or is this an incorrect assumption? Or... how DO you put the axle tubes on this center section? Do they need to be welded, or...? I am only familiar with old GM rears... so.... thanks. If this post does not make sense, click the above link to see the center ring and pinion for sale on Ebay.
Reply to
GT-Vert-03

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work that way, but I'm not expert on 8.8 rears. With my 9 inch rears, I have three different differential setups. To swap, I just pull each axle out a couple of inches, remove the differential, put on a new seal, bolt down the new diff, put the axles back in and put in the grease and modifier. Whole job take about 25 minutes.... after you do it a couple of times. 10 Minutes with a helper. You should be able to find carriers cheap in junk yards...but I'd buy new gear sets for each. BTW... That units bolts into the housing, you don't mount housing tubes to ..it.

Reply to
Mustang_66

differential,

The Ford 9 incher is a dream to work with....look under almost any stock-car race car and that's what you'll see.

I got to the point where I could swap gears in my 73 Cougar XR7 in about 15 minutes. At one time I think I had a set of 3.70's, 3.25's, and 2.80's ... sold the 3.70's to a guy for use in his late model.

(*>

Reply to
Hawk