2003 V6 Deluxe vs. Premium

I'm about to buy my first Stang, but I've got a puzzle to solve as to whether to buy the Deluxe (Automatic) or the Premium V6.

On the premium side, I can get ABS, the Mach 460 system, leather front seats, leather steering wheel, and a spoiler for about $1,600 more than the Deluxe. The trouble is that I could care less about the Mach system (I'd prefer the standard cd/mp3 player.), the leather steering wheel, and the leather seats.

On the Deluxe side, I could add the ABS (which I do want) for $650 and still come out $950 ahead.

OTOH, I REALLY want that spoiler and it doesn't look like I can select it as an add-on option on the Deluxe model. Bummer.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to have someone install an OEM-type spoiler after the car is in my possession? And would anyone be able to tell that it wasn't factory installed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Addison

Reply to
Addison Wonderling

at 21 Jul 2003, Addison Wonderling [ snipped-for-privacy@someaddress.com] wrote in news:210720031812021268% snipped-for-privacy@someaddress.com:

You should be able to get that spoiler at the parts counter at a decent Ford dealer. Not sure if they come pre painted, they may. If so, all it takes to install one is to drill some holes in your trunk lid *shudder* and bolt it on. If done correctly, I doubt one would notice. Unless the one is an expert and knows that spoiler does not match your equipment level.

Not sure what it would do to the warranty or cost. Now if you can get that dealer to do the above, it shouldn't void anything. And iff he's desperate enough to sell you the car, you may be able to strike a deal with them. If not, try the next Ford dealer in your neck of the woods. You can always make it a 'deal breaker'. :-)

Hope this helps...

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for the input, Paul.

Most of my dealers around here only carry the GT model and their deals are nothing special. BTW, I didn't specify before, but I am talking about the convertible Stang. I'm not sure if carsdirect.com would do the special add-on, but I will look into it now.

Thanks, aga> at 21 Jul 2003, Addison Wonderling [ snipped-for-privacy@someaddress.com] wrote in

Reply to
Addison Wonderling

Reply to
Michael Seeley

The V8 GT is worth the extra money as far as I am concerned. While not the fastest car on the road, it sure is fun to drive.

Top down on cool summer mornings on the way to work is fantastic... all the big SUV's pull up along side with their windows closed and air on ... and just "look"....

Gerry Ft Collins

Reply to
Gerry

Good idea. Another hangup with my local dealers, though, is their color selection on convertibles. It seems that sonic blue is not a popular color around here. But anyway, I'll see what carsdirect.com has to say and then take their quote to the local dealers and see if they can compete.

BTW, here are the base going rates at carsdirect.com (including the 3K Ford rebate that I've been quoted):

V6 Std. (Automatic) $20,264 - Add $650 for ABS. No spoiler. V6 Deluxe $21,865 GT (Automatic) $24,394

I wonder how these compare across the country. I live in Florida.

article , Paul wrote:

Reply to
Addison Wonderling

Heck,

Order a silver one and I'll swap deck lids with you. I hate the fake spoilers (and scoops too), even though I love the car.

Regards,

Ed White

Addis>

Reply to
C. E. White

For grins, I checked Mustang GT spoiler prices at fordpartsonline.com. The spoiler is available pre painted or in primer. The cost varies from $191 to 323 depending on color.

Regards,

Ed White

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Idiot get a GT.

Reply to
lc2flash

When I placed my order for my '03 GT vert in July 02 my dealer said the same thing, that Sonic Blue wasn't a popular color. Because of that he also had me drop a $1000 deposit on it instead of the usual $500. It seems everyone wants the red, black, or yellow stangs.

I gotta tell ya though, whenever I drive my pony around, I sure do get the looks and good comments. I enjoy having something different than everyone else! I've seen only a few other Sonic Blue stangs running around town here but they are all coupes!

BTW, I have the parchment top/interior which is an good compliment to the blue. The black top/interior would just get lost.

Mike '03 GT vert

Addis>

Reply to
J. Michael Gilker

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:12:04 GMT, Addison Wonderling wrote something wonderfully witty:

Simply make the addition of the spoiler part of the deal. The dealer can do it right at their location as a dealer installed option.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Addison,

When I bought my 2003 Pony Mustang here in Tampa, they sat me down with the parts catalog and asked me if there was anything else I wanted done to the car before or after I picked it up...I drove it home that night, so I had to bring it back in...but anyways, I got an alarm and tint from Ford just for the warranty. The book they showed me had the spoilers, scoops, etc in it...Also, they were going to custom order the Mustang I wanted if they didnt have exactly what I wanted...The only thing that I wanted that I didnt get was the interior package(?) something like that...Anyways, I agree with you...the Mach sound system isnt worth the money...I got a stick so the ABS wasnt an option on my car...The leather steerring wheel came with the Pony package...so did a few other things...different rims, spoiler(I think), Mustang in dark letters on bumper, running ponies on side of car, can be removed...I think I am forgetting something, oh yea a GT hood...but the Pony package is/was a $500 option, if memory serves me correct, I can look at my sticker price if you like...its in the car...I could even scan it if you would like and email it you...I got my car in January, but I would think the prices would be similar...

The V6 is alot of fun to drive...I can only wait/anticipate what the GT/Cobra will be like when I get one...I am only 23, so I didnt want to pay for the insurance on either...that and I cannt afford it yet... :) The V6 has great pickup and handling...coming from a 4 cyclinder at least...

What part of Florida are you from?

Hope that helps,

Shane

Reply to
Shane Metzler

Thanks for the good info, Shane. I live near Orlando. The Pony Package for the deluxe lists for $574 at carsdirect.com. It includes:

? Wheels: 16 in. Unique Polished . ? Unique Mustang Stampede Tape Stripe . ? Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel . ? Includes unique rear fascia with blackened MUSTANG letters and a GT hood.

The first one is nothing special, since you can get those wheels at N/C anyway. The leather steering wheel does nothing for me either.

OTOH, perhaps that unique rear fascia included the spoiler? It sounds like it might since you did receive a spoiler and no mach (the mach is listed as standard in the premium package.)

Reply to
Addison Wonderling

If dont mind an hour drive, I would check out Bill Currie Ford in Tampa that's where I purchased my car from...email me at snipped-for-privacy@tingley.net so I can get your email address and as soon as it stops raining I will run out to my car and get my sticker and scan it for you...it will show if I paid for the spoiler or not...it will also show which package I got...I have a picture of the wheels and rear fascia if you like.

typhoon.tampabay.rr.com!cyclone.tampabay.rr.com!news-west.rr.com!news.rr.com !n

ewsfeed1.easynews.com!easynews.com!easynews!diablo.voicenet.com!209.242.86.1

  1. > > MISMATCH!newsfeed!not-for-mail
Reply to
Shane Metzler

Reply to
Addison Wonderling

at 22 Jul 2003, Shane Metzler [ snipped-for-privacy@none.com] wrote in news:3f1bf43a$1_3@newsfeed:

Hmm, which dealer was this? Don't tell me Brandon Ford. :-)

Reply to
Paul

at 22 Jul 2003, Shane Metzler [ snipped-for-privacy@none.com] wrote in news:3f1c5476$1_3@newsfeed:

Their salesdroids and most likely managment. I tried a few years back to buy a used v6 00 vert there. I was ready to plonk down the 18K cash when the sales guy (A real nice no pressure dude) brought in the closer. Who did nothing but lie to me.

  1. He promised a carfax ready when we got back from the test drive. No such beast, not after repeated asking even (Turns out later BF never could do carfax)
  2. Then tells me he can lower the price. he didn't.
  3. And finally telle me why I wanna buy a used one if I can have a brand new v6 coupe for 15K. Tells the salesguy to show me those. I pick a few, standard ones, no fancy mach 460 or leather or whatever. Not even a wing on one of them. When we get back and the sales guy hands over the VIN's, the closer glances at them and goes: 'but those ar 19K ones'. I ask him 2 more times to show me the 15K ones. Nothing happening. I thank him for wasting our time and leave.

The salesguy calls the next morning with a lower price on the vert. (I tell him sorry no, after dealing with his closer I have lost confidence in Brandon Ford. And to tell his closer the lies and bait/switch tactics cost them a sale. And all future ones to me or my wife.

All I will get from Brandon Ford is parts, their parts guy is pretty good. But no way will I take my vehicle in for service. I ll drive 30 miles to Bartow Ford for recall work. At least there I get treated right.

If I need something fixed, I either use Need 4 Speed (A Mustang only shop) in Clearwater or Tampa Auto Service on 56th street. I know they will not cheat me...

Seems Bill Currie is reputable. I'll keep that in mind. We've done biz with Ernie Haire and they were OK as well. Best car dealer so far is James-Rivard Pontiac GMC on Adamo drive. Their guy Jimmy Whitten is super. I wish they sold Mustangs, I'd go there in a heartbeat.

Reply to
Paul

ABS really only helps if traction is dicey; like snow or rain. Otherwise it really doesn't help much, and it's more for bragging rights than actual function. Did you know that most insurance companies no longer provide a discount for ABS? That's because it doesn't make the car safer. For the average car driving slug, it's actually worse. Of course, the average car driving slug doesn't buy a Mustang. As for the spoiler, it's an easy add-on. Buy it over the counter, paint it, bolt it on. Or go to the bone yard and buy an entire trunk deck/spolier combo in the right color.

Reply to
.boB

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:20:32 GMT, Paul wrote something wonderfully witty:

Wow, they were that way in the late 80's if it is the one I am thinking about. I used to be stationed at Macdill AFB and tried to do business there once when I was looking for a 5 liter drop-top. Lot of folks from the base lived in Brandon because it was cheaper. Drive in could be a real bitch though as I remember.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Paul,

Thanks for all of the great information...I am going to keep all of that info in mind...I need a few good places to keep in mind so I know where to bring my car if I need service...I will let you know how Bill Currie is when I bring it in for service.

Thanks,

Reply to
Shane Metzler