2004 mach 1 or gt?

Hey there all,

In terms of daily drivers, if you had your choice, would it be a 2004 Mach 1 or GT.

5spd or auto?

Any pros or cons to owning either vehicle (mach insurance higher? - I'm

50yrs old if that makes a difference).

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Crewe Dave

Reply to
Crewe Dave

Well, that's a no-brainer. Mach1 for sure. 32V Motor in the 5 speed variety..6 if you can get it. Mach 1 is unique, compared to the bellybutton GT.

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

I agree 110%. The Mach is a beast!! There is one at my local track that has run a best of 12.8 at 108 and it is almost completely stock. Spare tire removed and a shifter. So really no performance mods at all to get into the 12's. Thats pretty damn good if you ask me. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Reply to
Johnny K

Hey Dave,

I'm 49 and recently bought an 03 Azure Blue Mach 1. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find a super deal on a leftover 03 Mach (22k-23k with rebate). I went with the auto, simply because I'm just not into all the shifting anymore. The 5 spd is a little faster, has a forged steel crankshaft, and tops out a little faster. The Mach does require premium gas. I've had my auto to 148mph, which is plenty fast for this old man. The comfortweave seats are very comfortable and the design of the Mach 1 is as impressive as its performance. A downer is that insurance may be a little higher, depending on your record.

Both the GT and the Mach will get you from point A to Point B, the Mach will get you there with a much bigger grin on your face, and its really fun to watch the young pups drool when they see "gramps" drive by in their dream car... A singular plus for the GT is that its cheaper.

One last point, the Mach will probably hold more of its value against the much hyped 05 Mustang, due to it being a limited production, high performance model.

Check out

for alot of great information about the Mach 1 and ask other owners what they think. Many owners are our age. I don't believe you will find a single member that regrets their purchase.

I hope this helps!

Reply to
Mustang_66

Depends on what you want. Faced with the same choice I opted for the GT only because I wanted a ragtop. The Mach did not come that way. Also the Mach requires premium as opposed to regular unleaded. Other than that you really cant go wrong with either one. They are both a blast to drive!

Reply to
joe

I doubt the mach-1 is any more of a collectors item than the GT. The Mach is just a rebadged 96-98 cobra IMHO with some useless gimmicks. Might as well pick up a low mileage 96-98 cobra and safe lots of $$$$

Rein

The Mach is not a '96-98 cobra at all. It is similar to a 99 cobra, but still different. I think the mach will be worth more than a GT in the long run, but maybe not by much. It is definitely a good bit faster. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

You obviously don't own a Mach 1, and its doubtful you've been very close to one. Just what useless gimmicks are you referring to?

While I'm sure your advise was well intended, it didn't address the original question. It merely advised to go buy a used car and save a bunch of money..... The famous last words of a cheap ass tight wad. Not that you are, of course.

Reply to
Mustang_66

Same engine for one, except for the hood scoop which obviously doesn't add any hp. Then the rear axle is the same unlike the 99 and up cobra's I personally don't like the seats, but then again I don't like any of the seats except for the 03 cobra and the cobra-R The dash is 'retrofied' weakly.. I think it's ugly.

I mean, seriously, what do you get more than a 96-98 cobra ? Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

I noticed you didn't mention what you drove...

What do you get that you don't with the 98 Cobra? Ummm let's see... A new car... The question at hand, I believe.. A better looking car... My opinion A new car warranty... A limited production model... Important to some. Slightly better performance than the Cobra was new.

What you don't get.... Somebody else's mechanical problems... About 70,000 hard driven miles... guaranteed Repair and restoration expenses... A dealer price not far off the cost of a new Mach 1... A difficult car to find, unless you like Ebay...

btw... its actually closer to a '99 Cobra... if you can find one with only

25k on it, you're looking at $20k for a "good" car.
Reply to
Mustang_66

Reply to
Tony Alonso

No. They don't have a supercharger. I thik they are actualy de-tuned versions of the older 99+ Cobra motors. They are rated at 305hp instead of the older Cobra's 320hp. Ford didn't want it to be the same as an SVT product.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

While they are rated at less horsepower, they actually are putting better numbers down at the track. Whether its due to the solid rear, or whatever, they are definitely some quick cars. I think I read somewhere that they were dynoing over 320fwhp completely stock though, which would make them underrated. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Anybody watch the show "Jake 2.0"? They had Lee Majors (The Six Million Dollar Man) star as a retired NSA agent working with Jake. The first stop was the used car lot to pick up a 1970's Mach 1 stang! Did the gratuitous burn-out out of the parking lot and a few 'slide around the turns' moves and then you just see it one more time. Pretty sweet to see a classic muscle car on a show like that. Now I wonder if they (UPN people) could work in a plug into an Enterprise show?

Reply to
Greg B.

Right. What I should have said is; what do you FUNCTIONALLY get more...

not really. I checked the local autotrader. Found a pristine 96 white cobra-convertible, garage-queen with 30K miles for 12K Most Cobra's are actually treated better than a used GT. GT's are more everyday cars, Cobra's are not.

I said 96-98 cobra.... Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Never mind.... You missed the entire point. And I'm at fault for allowing myself to get sidetracked into a used car comparison. Back to the original point..

THE MAN IS LOOKING FOR A 2004 MUSTANG!!!

Reply to
Mustang_66

Once you test drive both, the Mach will win your heart, hands down. I went with Auto just because I do alot of city driving. Ended up auto's were more "rare" in the 2003 model :-)

Check out

and
for Mach info overload ;-)

-Donna