2005-2006 Mustang V-8

2005-2006 Mustang V-8 auto trans

I'm used car shopping and have not had rear wheel drive car in 10 years.

Any comments good or bad (about the car)? How's the leg room? Is the window sill too high to hang an arm out the window comfortably? How's the gas mileage? Any strange quirks, like not being able to read the gauges in daylight (like many GM products)?

I'm going to rent one for a few days eventually but would like other's opinions, too.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
« Paul »

RWD has only a couple of disadvantages IMHO and they involve snow, slick roads and ice. I drive a 92 Chevy Caprice RWD that is great until it snows a lot and then it is pretty much a wounded buffalo in the snow :)

However, RWD is cheaper to maintain, easier to diagnose problems with (especially noise related problems) and for pure handling and driving fun it is superior which is partially why the big 3 are going back to RWD.

I'm just a rental refugee but I had the V6 rag top for 2 weeks and I absolutely loved it. In fact I loved it so much, I am shopping for a Stang' as well but I am undecided as to V8 or V6.

I'm 6'1 230lbs and I had no problem at all.

No problem for me. I've had the pre-2005 models as rentals in the past and I did notice the window too high thing, but it didn't really bother me. They seem to have improved it in the 2005+ models.

I got 27mpg overall (mostly open highway in upstate NY) and I was driving it like a maniac. The car had a little over 1000 miles on it when I started and almost 2000 when I gave it back.

Not that I could tell.

I think you are going to either love it or hate it. I loved it and it got attention everywhere I drove it.

I haven't tried a V8 yet, but the V6 was no slouch at all and who can argue with 25+mpg !

Reply to
lymee

Buy the V8, the percentage of purchase price retained is much better. I have a 2007 Mustang GT convertible on order, my fifth GT convertible. I had a 1999, 2001, 2003 and currently drive a 2005. I can get 25 MPG highway, driving @ 75 MPH and all Mustangs, as do most Ford, use regular grade gas. The 300 HP/ 345 FP of torque easily keeps the car in fifth gear most of the time Although I have a 2006 Zephyr, I drive the Mustang year around in the mountainous area of eastern Pa, no problems. The V6 Zephyr with a six speed only does 2 or 3 more MPG. Tractionlox axle and traction control are standard. Add a good set of winter tires, NOT snow tires.

The 2005 was an all new car, based in the Lincoln LS/Jaguar S chassis, and a much better car all around than the previous models. I paid around $5,000 total delivered to replace the 99, 01 and 03. The resale on the 2005 is so great the 07 is only costing me $3,500, total delivered. Not bad when you factor in the selling price on each was at least a $1,000 more than the one before. I'm 6'3" 220 LB and 80 years old Hell, I have even picked up some young stuff. Had one last week that could not have been a day of 59. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I have found that with most of the cars I have owned over the years, the larger engine actually got better mileage for me than friends who purchased the smaller motors. My theory is that it's just working less hard and I'm not constantly stomping on it to get the car to go. My Caprice 305 gets 26mpg overall, mostly because it cruises very well with a light foot on the gas.

I agree with you the GT does retain it's value better. By 'winter tires' what do you mean? Blizzaks or something like that?

I agree. From what I could tell after driving a 2004 Vert and a 2006 Vert, the 2006 feels much more solid to me.

I paid around $5,000

You sound like a riot Mike!! God Bless ya!

Reply to
lymee

Or perhaps, you just drive better.

Cars with smaller engines do usually get better gas milage. That is why the EPA ratings are usually better. Of course, we all know that EPA ratings are only estimates.

My guess is that if you had the car with the smaller engine, you would even get better milage. It all depends on how you drive them and how you maintain the cars (e.g., keeping tires filled with air).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I prefer RWD but that's always a subjective opinion, nothing objective about opinions.

I have a 2005 GT automatic. My only complaint is that I'd have liked the 5speed, but my wife over ruled that decision but no complaints other than it's slow off the line, once moving, "LOOK OUT" :)

leg room in the front seat is wonderful, I'm 6'2" 200 lbs and I have no problem at all with fitting under the steering wheel. Passengers seat is NOT electric and has no height adjustment. It sits pretty low in the cabin (or cockpit) depending on your speed and since there isnt any adjustment, it's kind of hard for "short people" to hang an arm out the window. BACK SEAT leg room is NON EXISTANT with the driver's/passenger's seats all the way back. If you're under about 5'7" and pull the front seats forward, there'd be some leg room in the back, but if you're over

5'10" you can just about forget anyone sitting behind you. BUT, truthfully, the back seat is just for looks and an occasional quick trip passenger. I'd sure hate to be the 12 year old forced to sit in the back seat from Detroit to Chicago. Talk about a grumpy kid on arrival !!!!!

Drivers seat, you can adjust up or down almost4" so there's not problem with anyone short or tall hanging an arm out the window, passeners seat, however is low in the cabin (see above)

I get about 20.5 MPG in town/combined driving ( I live about 15 miles from work on 2 lane highways) On a recent trip to Dallas, I got 24.8 MPG driving about 85 (average speed for the trip was 78 MPH) I don't baby it and at least on startup each trip gets a little "squeal" out of the tires... So, I would say probably 1 or 1.5 MPG better if I'd just take it easy in town and possibly 1 MPG better on the road with "SANE" driving speeds. But, don't count on it from me, like I said, call it a cabin or a cockpit depending on speed.... I've got a bumper sticker (no I wouldn't dare put it on the mustang that reads< "If this was a runway, I wouldn't be speeding" I think that says enough about speed :)

No strange quirks that I've noticed, had the car since October 2004 (It was the first one in town) and I still feel like waking up early to get ready for work. I know, I know, but I do love driving it and the "newness" hasn't worn off yet.

I don't know where you'd be able to rent a GT, but from what I've seen of other people's comments (mostly those who haven't yet driven a GT) they are all impressed as heck with the V6 performance. I didn't get to drive a V6 until I'd had my GT for about 6 months and I was disappointed with the performance of the V6/automatic. But, that's after getting out of the cockpit of my GT and getting into the cabin of a V6. Yup, it does seem like that much difference when comapring one after immediately driving the other.

BUT, either one is a "head turner" and either one is fun to drive. Try them both, see which fits you, your subjective opinion and your wallet. Get what makes you happy and causes you to wet your pants with joy, hmmmm let me stop right here before I get into trouble

John

Reply to
nobody

Thanks for everyone's replies. Mustang sounds better all the time. I've got to fly into Newark in two weeks. I think both Hertz and Avis rent Mustangs. I'll be in NJ & NY on business and then drive to Cleveland, OH to see relatives. Drop the car off there and fly back to Houston. Paul.

Reply to
« Paul »

It's possible, but as an example I just had a rented Saturn Vue and it was possbily one of the slowest cars/SUVs I have ever driven. Same thing with a Suburu Outback I had as a rental a couple of months ago. They were both very underpowered and I got horrible gas mileage with both of them.

I tend to be gentle on cars, no jack rabbit starts, but I do like to cruise fast once on the freeway. Every car I have ever had has lasted me at least 100k miles and most go up into the 200k range. My Caprice is pushing 400k miles with original engine and transmission.

You might have something though about my driving style matching bigger motors and thus getting better mileage.

Reply to
lymee

Not Cobra's, not Mach 1's - Premium gas only.

Reply to
kheyde

They're out of my price range anyways. :(

Reply to
« Paul »

Have you thought about getting an SCT X-Cal2? Will greatly improve the performance and feel of your automatic!

The are a number of good tuners out there but for automatics I highly recommend Lidio at Alternative Auto

When it comes to tuning automatics, Lidio is on top!

Reply to
John S.

300 HP is correct, but it is rated at 320 FP of torque. Same for 2007.
Reply to
Bob Willard

Yes, but I have found Blizzaks not to be as good as similar tires from other manufactures.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

As I said, with me driving both vehicles, the Zephyr does get better mileage but nothing to brag about considering the GT is far more powerful when one needs to get going or to get out of the way. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The Vue has a Honda engine and like most Japanese manufactures they wind up their engines to get HP and torque suffers as a result. Torque is what gets you going and keep you going up hills and mountains. That it why Toyotas, Subarus and the like die on the grades, unless you run the gears. When you do that mileage drops off.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

One can buy a new GT coupe for around 24K, much less than many of its competitors cars that offer only a V6. For a 'sporty' car they are powering the wrong set of wheels and therefore do not handle as well ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Whatever. What is important is it is developed well of above the 2,000 RPMs one runs at when dong 65 MPH. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Please post inline. It is very hard to follow a thread with your top-posting.

I guess you are saying that you don't have anything of importance to say.

I would have to agree.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'll try to remember that next time ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually there are parts of the country where a $3,000 markup is not uncommon...

Reply to
John S.